MxM express recorder for Sony PMWEX1R - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
If it is Initio then it is the old SATA I, so I am surprised to hear that is SATA I was faster than your RAID.
Hi Ross,

As I said, I don't know about the chip used - my Vista doesn't report on it. However, even if it's the SATA I indeed, I guess it'd be a bottleneck only if used connected to a fast, multi-lane, SATA 3G controller. I've yet to see a single lane, eSATA (as opposed to SATA) controller that is capable of sustained transfer rate above 100 MBps which I'm getting from my MxM SSD, connected to the JMicron controller on my Asus mobo...

The JMicron has two SATA ports: internal SATA II (3G) and external eSATA, and imposes this 100 MBps cap on whatever I connect to it (be it internal SATA II HDD, or external eSATA device such as my WD MyBook Studio II enclosure, configured as a RAID 0 array).

Of course I'm talking sustained, practical datarates here; the MxM SSD is reported as capable of much higher than that by utilities like HD Tune...
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #47
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Piotr,

Thanks for the info on your system.

It's a pity that you are only able to get SATA I speeds out of your system, as SATA II will get you double the speed of SATA I, which would make any SSD fly.

BTW Marcus has already stated the chipset used in the enclosure, so no need to worry about it.Thanks anyway.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Just to get it straight, Ross:

- I was talking specifically about the JMicron SATA controller, which - even though it is described as SATA II in my Asus mobo specs - creates the 100-115 MBps bottleneck for anything connected to it (be it eSATA, or internal SATA II device).

My mobo's main SATA controller is of course the Intel Matrix (ICH7/R it was 4 years ago when the motherboard was designed), and it allows for 320 MBps transfers using my internal, 3-disk RAID 0.

Next time I have some spare time and my PC opened, I'll try to connect the MxM SSD case straight to the Intel controller, and will be able to tell what its datarate capabilities really are.
Old January 20th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #49
Inner Circle

I need a low power solution to wrangle cards at the end of the day and since this is powered off the EX1 and the EX1 will do the copy, this MxM SSD recorder is a good solution for me.

Is anyone using this SSD recorder with hard drives? If so, what model(s)?

Also, the MxM site seems to only sell 80GB SSD yet the Intel spec they have indicates a 160GB SSD. Does anyone know what SSD model(s) are compatible?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Epilog:
I ordered this MxM recorder for $169 and a Western Digital WD3200BUDT 5200rpm 32mb cache disk for $55. I chose this one as it reportedly was specifically designed for "streaming digital audio or video that is always active or ON on like DVR / PVR, video display digital also requires supervision and other multimedia applications"

There was plenty of friendly support from MxM on selecting an SSD or spinning drive.

The unit is assembled in Australia from Chinese parts. The EX1R recognized the device but complained the format wasn't supported. After using the camera to format the drive, it functioned flawlessly both recording and playing back.

My purpose was use the SSD Recorder as a storage device for wrangling SxS cards in the field. Using only the power it got from the SxS slot, the device copied 32GB from two 16GB SxS Pro card in 16 minutes. All in all, it's a fine device with nice right angle mini usb connectors on the "right sized" cable. There are no sharp edges nor straight connectors sticking out.

Speaking of cables, it comes with two for use with the camera (one slightly longer than the other) as well as a USB power, USB cable, and eSata cable.

MXM support recommended 2mm rubber on the bottom of the drive for a bit of shock absorption.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
The EX1R recognized the device but complained the format wasn't supported. .
This is normal for any drive as the camera needs to format it before it can use it.

Have used my unit (with SSD) twice over recent weeks for long form recording with the camera in a single position on sticks.

It was so nice not having to wrangle lots of cards and the offloading was painless thanks to the fact I installed an E-SATA card in my Mac Pro.

I wish I could write something more exciting but basically the unit sits there and does the job. You literally forget it's there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds