Fujinon HSs 18x5.5 for EX3 or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fujinon HSs 18x5.5 for EX3 or not?

Hi
I'm looking to purchase a 1/2 inch lens for my EX3.
the Fujinon HSs18x5.5 has been recommended.
Can anyone advise on the pros & cons and image that this lens produces with the EX3?
Also how does the CA compare with the stock lens when shooting objects against a bright background?
My work is mainly live stage, dance and theatre production.

Would appreciate any help or advise on alternative lens.

Thanks

Andreas
Andreas Andreou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Whether the HSs18x5.5 is worth it or not depends on what you are expecting to gain from it.

I have that exact same lens and used it on my EX3 100% of the time before I sold that camcorder a few months ago. Optically, there wasn't much of a difference because the stock lens looks pretty good already.

For me, the difference was all about ergonomics. I will never feel comfortable shooting with a small camcorder like an EX1 or EX3. I prefer bigger, heavier, shoulder-mount camcorders like my F800. But, with the HSs18x5.5 mounted on the EX3 I could almost believe I was using a traditional ENG/EFP camcorder. Having a real broadcast lens on the camera just made all the difference in the world for hand-held shooting, smooth zooming, accurate focusing, and even adjusting the exposure.

If you don't have experience shooting with broadcast ENG/EFP lenses then investing in the new lens may or may not be worth it. But if you feel uncomfortable with the ergonomics and limitations of the stock lens performance in other ways besides the optics, then I highly recommend it.

Here's some stuff that was shot with my HSs18x5.5
I've posted it a few times before and I'm sure some people are sick of it. Sorry.
I purposely won't post the whole URL so it doesn't embed and take up space. You can track it down if you're interested.
vimeo.com/5425091

Also, a lot of the footage in my EX3 training DVD was shot with that lens.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your comments and air show link...food for thought!
Also, the training video was worth every penny, you probably have a ready made market out there for an in-depth follow up video for serious EX-3 owners.
Great Video.

Andreas
Andreas Andreou is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds