Client can't play mov file on Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Client can't play mov file on Premiere

Hi all:
I recently shot some video for a client who edits in Adobe Premiere. I shot the video on my Sony EX-1 and off loaded the sxs files to my hard drive. They are listed as 516_6907_012.mov (example) When she opens in Premiere, she gets audio only. What does she need on here system or what do I need to do to provide her with files she can use and edit?

Thanks.
Phil Hanna
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Give her the BPAV file structure. In fact, give that to ANYONE in a handoff. That removes any potential future problems, and lets editors have access to important Metadata they might need down the road.
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Further Question

Thanks, Perrone:

So, I put the SxS card back into the compter and copied the BAPV file directly onto the portable hard drive. I had to label one of them BPAV_ as BPAV was already on the drive. She can put this into her computer and her program Premiere will be able to read the files?

Phil
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I wish people would learn the workflow first.
Never rename BPAV folder.

Use ClipBrowser with CRC to copy to hard drive. It can create a timestamped parent folder.
BPAVs are your camera masters, not files wrapped to .mov or .mxf or encoded to another format.
You wont hand someone a problem if you do it the right way.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If the program won't read the files, the Sony software to make it compatible is free. I'd include the Sony Browser on the disk as well. This is just good form. When I am handing off, I include all BPAV files (broken down by day and reel) along with any supporting software like the Sony Clipbrowser, VLC, etc.

That way, I am ensured that whoever will need to see or edit my footage has all the tools required to do so. At least as much as I can control.

Make sense?
Old November 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I wish people would learn the workflow first.

You wont hand someone a problem if you do it the right way.
I hear ya Craig. But I am giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. Doing handoffs is pretty uncommon for a lot of shooters. I can remember when I first had to hand off, and when I got my first one. The first one I got was from a guy on FCE who sent me a Mac formatted drive with AIC encoded files. I learned a LOT on that project. Not to mention the guy was some 2500 miles from me!
Old November 17th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #7
Inner Circle

A big part of the problem is Sony provides virtually nothing to recommend a universal workflow. If you go to their site (depending on country) they have workflows for specific NLEs but none of it is relevant to handing off files. There's just no easy way to learn this.

I do think the simple "universal" workflow is:
ClipBrowser with CRC on to hard drive - you now have camera masters
Backup using your method of choice but do backup.
rewrap and import into NLE as needed.

Keep in mind it's not just about handing off. Imagine having nothing but EX .mov files for Final Cut Pro and two years from now you switch to another NLE that doesn't deal with EX .mov

Keep in mind some NLEs already handle the BPAV with the .mp4 contained within. Even FCP does with Calibrated Software codec or Sony Cinemon.

The BPAV is the "cassette" containing the tape. Don't break the cassette or you may find yourself rescuing the tape. In that respect, it's really no different than tape. It's just a software equivalent of a cassette. All it would take is a paragraph or two for Sony to impart that info to new users.
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Perrone is right. ONLY hand off the BPAV folder to someone that you wish to give footage to. I promise you much misery if you don't. By far the biggest problem you will have is the MAC / PC 'Tower of Babel'. When the Sony utilities offload the BPAV folders, the files are rewrapped into the appropriate file containers for the system they are to be used on. I don't know why but I have run into self anointed experts that want to argue the point - until they run into a brick wall and embarrass themselves. I do a lot of shooting for other people and the way I deliver their video is by transferring their BAPV folders onto a portable USB hard drive and loan them the drive. As an added safety factor, I don't erase the chips until the files have been safely transferred from the portable hard drive.

Aside from rewrapping the files into the appropriate file format, the video segments are stitched together to insure the video flows without interruption from one file segment to the next.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks to all

Thanks guys, I knew this would be the place to get the info. I have transferred all BPAV folders from the shoot to the portable hard drive. I have advised my client to download a copy of XDCAM Transfer for her PC. Now when I give her footage as BPAV folders, should be able to reliably transfer the materials. If I am incorrect in this assessment, please advise. Again, thanks so much for helping me out.

Phil
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #10
Inner Circle

XDCAM Transfer is Mac only. ClipBrowser is what's needed.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks

Great, That is the clarification I needed.
Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds