New XDCAM Browser software at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Vortex Media

New XDCAM Browser software

A lot of people have been asking me via email whether they should start using the new XDCAM Browser software, so I've added a short review to my website. Okay, I admit it, it's mostly about my gripes with the new software. :-)

If you're not a Final Cut Pro user, I don't know if you should use it or not, but if you're a FCP user, my advice is to keep using Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer. The new software is not ready for prime time.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The new software is pure, unadulterated, premium grade rubbish. But it does have a very fashionable gray background. Does Sony have a feedback web page/forum for it?

Last edited by Les Wilson; November 22nd, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Major Player

One thing of particular note that would prevent me from using the new version, XDCAM Browser, is you loose all the camera setting metadata, like PP used, white balance, iris, shutter and so on.

If you have ever gone to do pickup shots after a gig is over, that information can be invaluable.

I hope Sony plans to roll in the dropped features in a future update.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sony should have done integration of both XDCAM Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer as the Sony XDCAM Browser only when both previous softwares work as before inside the new XDCAM Browser with the new features add to it , after all the XDCAM Workflow was working perfectly why try to remake the weel .... Doug is right on target : Step one backup the BPAV ; Step two Rewrap for FCP and even with Cinemon mp4 pluging Backup first why FCP must run is a joke.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Major Player

is there a complaint department we can contact?
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Ed, I think I can hear some guys at Sony having a good laugh at the suggestion of a complaint department.

That's the last thing I think modern companies want - to hear from their customers.

Maybe that was a bit harsh, but it sure feels like that to me sometimes.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Major Player

"Modern Companies" who are successful these days, who manage to grow profit during tough economic times and are able keep their stock prices from crumbling are companies who "listen to their customers." That is done practically with internet support forums on the manufacturer's web-site and have pro-active customer support via phone and internet queries. nuff ... said.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I would suggest those that are concerned about this consider doing what I did as outlined in post 11 of this parallel thread (download the still available older separate applications - before they disappear from all of Sony's XDCAM support sites around the world).

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...r-trouble.html

Don't let me stop you complaining directly to Sony either. One hopes they will now be in a listening mood...
Old November 26th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Adding on the the earlier comment about Sony not wanting to listen to their customers, I have to add this thought to the mix. They obviously listened to the users of the EX-1 when they brought out the 'r" version of the camera. I'd have to believe that making the necessary changes to the new software would be somewhat trivial compared to refitting/redesigning an entire camera, no? Just trying to be fair here. Trust me, I'm not trying to be a Sony fanboy. They caused me untold grief with the EX-1 until they finally fixed all the issues I had with it, but I wish I could afford to sell my "1" to get a "1r".
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Vortex Media

In February of 2008 Sony brought Alister Chapman and me to the XDCAM EX factory in Japan to give the engineers feedback on the original EX1. A lot of our complaints, comments, and suggestions were integrated into the EX1R and EX3.

Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen for the browser software, but I have given detailed written feedback (more detail than I have posted on my website) to Sony USA and they have combined that information with heir own comments and feedback from other users, to start lobbying Japan for changes. If it makes you feel any better, the key people at Sony USA were already disappointed with the software even before customers like us started revolting. I will be really surprised if most of these issues are not addressed in the next few months. In the mean time, I'm just going to pretend the new software doesn't even exist and continue to use the tried and proven workflow I've enjoyed for 3 years. Some of the new features of XDCAM Browser would be nice to to have, but they aren't worth giving up the core functionality that I need on a daily basis. And there's no reason you can't have them all on your Mac at the same time anyway. Use whatever works best for the task you want to do.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #11
Major Player

It sounds like you've done everything you can do to help this situation, Doug. Thanks for your efforts (and those of Alister) on behalf of all the EX1/3 users! Guess I'll stick with the original software too.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds