Minimum size LCD for perfect focus? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM   #46
Major Player

Re: Minimum size LCD for perfect focus?

Keith, thank you for this. I just checked and you're right, the Canon XF100 just has HDMI.
Given this, would I need to get the more expensive SmallHD, so that I could use the SDI input for the EX-1 and the HDMI input for the Canon?
(and would the cheaper TVLogic accommodate both cameras?)
thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM   #47
Major Player

Hi Malcolm

If you don't mind using component cable set, the EX has component out, so you could use the HDMI from the Canon and component from the EX and not have to get the SDI version which is more expensive. I don't know about the TVlogic, I don't have that monitor, though I know they are a super brand.

-Keith
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM   #48
Major Player

O.K. Keith. I'll read up on the specs of the TVLogic and try to figure that out. I'll also weigh in my mind the down side of a Component connection. One downside, perhaps, is that it's a bit more fiddly?
Anyway, thanks again for your advice,
Malcolm
Old October 3rd, 2011, 04:49 PM   #49
Major Player

The downside of the component inputs for me is that there are 3 wires to connect, and that the cable set is more bulky. Also it's more difficult to 'extend' beyond the 2-3ft cables that come with the camera, and if you do extend them you have to get RCA couplers and another set of 3 RCA cables. However if you don't mind that, it's an option, and quality wise it's virtually the same as the HDMI connection.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM   #50
Major Player

I've just emailed support at TVLogic to ask if (as it seems to me from their website) the cheaper version of their 5.6" monitor has SDI input.
Thanks for your help,
Malcolm
Old October 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #51
Major Player

Just heard back from a TVLogic dealer here in Canada: the TVLogic VFM-056W (the less-expensive of the two 5.6" TVLogic versions) costs $1889.
The more expensive of the two SmallHD monitors, the one that does take SDI, is about $500 less, at just under $1400.
So it seems to me that this might be the better option. They both take SDI, and seem to have all the same tech specs, but one is $500 more.
Am I missing something?
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #52
Trustee

Wow Malcolm, things in Canada seem a lot more expensive than here in the US. I got my TVLogic VFM-056WP (more expensive model) for under $1400. with both a Sony and AA battery bracket. In comparing the two (TVLogic and SmallHD) they both use the same screen. The difference is in the brains. The most important for me was that the TVLogic was a little more accurate on color reproduction and it gave me some key features that the SmallHD didn't have. The main features are waveform/vector scopes, error range checking, better control over false color settings, and the ability to change the peaking color.

I think the SmallHD is a nicer looking case but that's personal preference. The cost difference here ended up being about $50 so it was an easy for me to decide.

I had the original SmallHD DP1 and really liked that monitor. But when you go into the DP6 with SDI it opens a few more options.

As for connecting two cameras I have done using the SDI and HDMI inputs and switching between the two.

-Garrett
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #53
Major Player

SmallHD DP6 or TVLogic VFM-056W?

Hi Garrett,

I questioned the reseller up here about the price disparity, and he just wrote back to say that, in fact, they're out of stock, but they can get the VFM-056W for $1410, and the WP ("special best price!") for $1755.
So that's obviously a bit better (still not great).

So... $1300 for the DP6, and $1410 for the VFM-056W. Pretty close in price.

BOTH have SDI and HDMI inputs (so either one would allow me to connect both my Sony EX-1 (SDI) and my Canon XF100 (HDMI).

Both have peaking and focus assist.

In terms of other features, that it seems to me they DON'T share:

- the TVLogic includes an Audio Level Meter, which sounds like a good thing. If the DP6 includes this, I didn't see it mentioned.

- the DP6 user manual says that the DP6's PIP menu allow me to see what both cameras are shooting at the same time (the DP6 allows "two signals (one HDS and 1 SD) to be displayed simultaneously") but does that mean I'd have to run an SD signal from one of the cameras?

If you or anyone can answer these questions, and if you have any further thoughts, I'd appreciate it.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Someone posted this on Twitter, thought I'd pass it along. It's a 9" field monitor by Flanders Scientific that has a ton of features . . . and a hefty price tag.
LM-0950W Promo Video v1 - YouTube
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds