Narrowly averted disaster using MxM card - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #46
Trustee

Re: Narrowly averted disaster using MxM card

Just been to the Samsung Memory card launch today and was given two 16gb SDHC Plus cards (class 10). The Plus cards are 100% tested before being sold. The cards can be submerged in Sea water for 24 hours and will still work, they will work after a 1.6 ton vehicle has driven over them and will still keep data safe after being subjected to a 10 Gauss magnetic force.

All sounds too good to be true, I will test my two cards out over the weekend and probably publish a video review of them - maybe I will just submerge them in my bathtub rather than drive down to the coast. A my daughters bike might be a more realistic test. As for the magnetic force, I will leave the card in front of my HiFi speaker whilst listening to Mahlers Resurrection Symphony (No 2).

Just for info, here is the Samsung press release

20th July 2011, London UK – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., has launched a new range of high performance SDHC/SD and micro SDHC/SD memory cards. All of the cards in Samsung’s latest memory line-up provide incredible read speeds of 24MB/s and have been designed to meet the growing need for faster data transfer from a mobile device, such as smart phone or digital camera, to a PC.

The new Samsung memory cards will be available in two categories: ‘Essential’ and ‘Plus’, providing a choice of card to suit every application.

The premium ‘Plus’ range of SDHC/SD and micro SDHC/SD memory cards have the highest available class 10 speed rating - for advanced data transfer speed and flawless transmission of full HD video – and also boast a class-leading write speed of up to 21MB/s. With data storage capacity of 8GB or 16GB, the cards are perfect for today’s memory-devouring devices and come with a 10 year limited warranty.

Samsung’s ‘Essential’ category of SDHC/SD and micro SDHC/SD memory cards have either a Class 4 or Class 6 performance rating and offer a write speed of up to 13MB/s. Available in capacities from 2GB to 16GB, the ‘Essential’ memory cards come with a 5 year limited warranty.

Extremely durable and reliable, the new Samsung memory cards have been designed to be ‘3 Proof’: Shockproof, waterproof and magnet proof - ensuring that valuable data won’t be lost, even in the harshest of environments. Shock-proof technology within the cards protects data from forceful impact and high pressure, including being crushed by a 1.6 ton vehicle, while an innovative Epoxy Moulding Compound covering provides a shield against dust and means the memory cards can withstand over 24 hours in sea water. The cards are also able to resist x-ray scanners and any type of widespread magnetic exposure.

All cards in the new line-up feature a stylish brushed aluminum finish and will be available from July 2011 in the UK. A class 10 SDHC/SD and micro SDHC/SD memory card with a massive 32GB capacity will be added to the ‘Essential’ range in September 2011.
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:26 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
@ Marcus Durham: more proof for the vulnerability of amateur-targeted SD(HC)- cards in comparison to Pro-targeted Compact Flash. Try to split a CF-card with your nail.
Maybe, but the fact is that CF flash cards are far more prone to failure due to the pin openings- moisture will find a way in. I had an interesting conversation with a Samsung official today and asked why they didn't produce CF cards. The reply was that it was a shrinking market and that SDHC cards were far more reliable.

Interesting stuff.

BTW. I have never had card failures until recently when my CF card decided to play silly pranks by rearranging data.

Alister is probably right with the claims on SxS cards, I have no doubt that they are the best available, but then at the high price they should be.
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #48
Regular Crew

Will these new Samsung cards work with the Ex-cameras and if so what type of adapter will be recommended? At NAB I bought one of the Hoodman Steel 32 gig cards and it seems to be solid.

Thanks

Ronnie
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #49
Trustee

I will be using the Samsung cards with my EX3, will do some tests later today, especially with overcranking. Will keep you posted here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds