Firmware Download Info? Sticky? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Trustee

Firmware Download Info? Sticky?

Is there a source for comprehensive information on firmware upgrades and downloads for the EX cameras? I rather expected to find a sticky like the one for manuals.

Hours of searching Sony websites reveals that they are a disorganized mess. But that has always been my experience with Sony, that their web presence has never lived up to their corporate reputation. The best I could find is a PDF document about only the the latest firmware release for my EX1. But no actual link for the upgrade utility software (PC or Mac), and no sign of the actual firmware download itself, either. Or any historic list of the firmware versions and release notes.

I bought my EX1 as "B stock" from my local dealer, and it didn't come with an SxS card. I have been using the MxR adapters I got from e-Films in Australia and some older Transcend 16GB SDHC cards. But I am having terrible luck with any newer SDHC cards.

I also bought e-Films' e-HDR and it never worked, but that is another story. I am pretty much reduced to using an external SDI recorder if I need any kind of reliability. :-(
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Firmware Download Info? Sticky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Is there a source for comprehensive information on firmware upgrades and downloads for the EX cameras?
This place. It is what you make it -- if our folks will share the info, I'll certainly help organize its presentation.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Since I have only an EX1, I was looking for that firmware. It appears that if you are looking for the firmware, etc. for EX1R, the links are correct on the Sony microsite. However the links for the EX1 are incorrect. There are only two different links to two different file names which turn out to be the same PDF file of the latest release notes. But no links to the ZIP file with the actual firmware, etc.

I suppose I could try reporting the problem to the Sony webmaster, but that seems like a fool's errand. I have no expectation that my chances of actually contacting anyone useful are worth the effort it would take to try to figure out how to report it.

My local dealer offered to load the file onto my thumb drive, so I think I will drive over there tomorrow. Unless somebody knows where the latest EX1 version is actually available online?
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Richard,

I downloaded 1.26 just moments ago.

Sony Support Centre

search for pmw ex1

click on the software/drivers tab and find it in the list
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Major Player

When I tried it myself, it froze up for some reason and did not complete the upgrade.
I had to take it to Sony Canada in Coquitlam.
They fixed it in a couple of hours and also went over the camera and did a flangeback adjustment.
Cost me $100, but well worth it.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Old October 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks to Mr. Vincic, I found the EX1 files and successfully upgraded my camera. I wrote a more extensive report available here...

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ml#post1688934
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds