Checking life of SXS cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 15th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Checking life of SXS cards

Im sure Ive read somewhere that either in XDCAM browser or in camera.. they was some way to check the life of 1 type SXS cards..?

Thanks
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Checking life of SXS cards

In the Status screen of your XDCAM EX based camera, it should show it as both a percentage and a progress bar. I do not believe Browser can see this data, and even if it did, you might have to pay $200 to view it.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Ok thanks .. will have the camera soon..
Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
In the Status screen of your XDCAM EX based camera, it should show it as both a percentage and a progress bar. I do not believe Browser can see this data, and even if it did, you might have to pay $200 to view it.
Sorry I didn't mean the time left for recording.But the actual life span of the 1 type cards..maybe the camera just gives some sort of warning when a card is nearing the end of its life span..?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It should be on the final status screen called BATTERY/MEDIA. My mistake though as it only shows it as a percentage as "Life: 99%". The progress bar is how much recording time is left.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Major Player

It looked to me when I had cards in the camera PMW500 that the % was also referring to the recording time left on the card.. not its cycle life ?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Inner Circle

According to the manual, it should be in the BATTERY/MEDIA status screen. To get there, you have to press the MENU CANCEL/PRST/ESCAPE switch to the CANCEL/PRST side. This is below the Gain switches.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 12:52 AM   #8
Trustee

Jack is correct as far as my knowledge goes. I'm using 5yr life span cards and I have used 2% after one years worth of work or I have 98% life span left on the cards.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Ok thanks to both of you.. getting the camera on the weekend and new cards.. so not something I have to worry about straight away :)

Thanks again
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Just for the record, I have one 32 gig card (of the SxS-1 variety, not the Pro variety) and so far we've put about 250 gigs of data through it, and it's coming up as 100% life remaining on our EX1R. So at this rate it'll last a very long time. The only marketed difference between the -1 and the Pro is that the Pro is meant to last for more life cycles.

Frankly I don't know why anyone would use the hard disk recorder or any other method of recording data. (Assuming you're not mixing live).

Richard
Richard Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #11
Inner Circle

My thought is the HDD units are for long trips with no offloading capability. (for instance, backpacking nature photography trips)
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Jack, you might be right. But you could also take a netbook with an express card slot and get more functionality. The hard disks don't do slow motion (can't handle the bit rate) and won't let the card door close properly. They only take 120 gig when the SxS cards will already take 64.

A camera with 2 x 64 gig cards installed can record 8 hours of 1080i or 720p footage at highest quality. And you can always just buy more SxS cards. They're only $1200 each... :)

Richard

Last edited by Richard Cavell; May 28th, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Richard Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:33 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
According to the manual, it should be in the BATTERY/MEDIA status screen. To get there, you have to press the MENU CANCEL/PRST/ESCAPE switch to the CANCEL/PRST side. This is below the Gain switches.
Jack

I bought the camera on the weekend.. and yes you are totally correct .. that status page does seem to show a life of card on %.. thanks..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds