up grade XDCAM browser 2.1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 6th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Major Player

up grade XDCAM browser 2.1

I have XDCAM browser V2.. there is now v2.1 (Iam on a mac 10.7.3)..

Can I just down load the new version and it will install "over" the older one.. or should I delete V2 first.. if so what would be the procedure and where would I find the relevant bits and folders..?

Or is there any real need to go from V2 to V2.1... read the notes.. but as Im new to all things XDCAM not sure if I really need the up grade../ I use for checking footage and making copies to ext HD.. and sometimes internal HD.. always that fear of don't fix what isn't broken !!

Thanks
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: up grade XDCAM browser 2.1

Yes, upgrade.
No, don't uninstall the earlier version first.
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Doug

Ok thanks.. so the v2.1 will instal over the v2.. can you tell me the main advantages on v2.1 over v2

Thanks for your time..
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Vortex Media

I don't have the time to explain the differences. But it doesn't matter anyway because there is no reason not to upgrade. Just do it. :-)
Old June 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Major Player

As Doug said, just do it.

From the Sony release notes:

XDCAM Browser V 2.1 Mac/Win
Release Notes v1.2ic

1. Added and Improved Features in XDCAM Browser 2.1

-(Mac OS Only) Added support for MXF, MP4 and AVI import into Final Cut Pro X. See updated ‘FCP’ tab in the user preferences area. Requires Final Cut Pro 10.0.4 or higher
-(Windows only) Added AAF export of Clip List files (“External” i.e. multi-disc Clip List export is not currently supported) b)
-Added a feature to show lock status of MXF format clips
-Added a feature to lock/unlock MXF format clips

-Added an option to prohibit operations which delete clips, clip lists and files

-Added support for copying Proxy (“offline”) media from UDF-formatted SxS memory cards

-Added Blu-ray and DVD Disc burning (Blu-Ray: Currently Mac OS only)

-Added display of audio level meters b)

- (Windows only) Added a feature to export Windows Media files from proxy data using Clip Lists data b)

-Added a feature to enable metadata editing when the playback mode of the User
Configuration is set as “original”

-Added a feature to directly edit Proxy data recorded to USB memory drives from XDCAM
Devices

-Added a feature to add sub clips based on Essence Marks in the storyboard editing area

-Added a feature to ‘Copy to Offline Media’ (i.e. copy Proxy data) from the Live Logging
window.

-Added a feature to copy clips and clip lists to the internal storage of XDCAM Station devices
via CIFS.

- (Windows only) Added a feature to make Clip Lists from Live-Logged clips during Live
Logging connection.1)2)

1) This function is provided as an expansion of the Live Logging feature. It can be used by registering the serial number of the XDBZ-AD1 Professional Application Software (advanced pack for XDCAM Browser) or the retail options.

2) Growing (i.e. currently recording) clips are not supported

-When copying related clips using planning metadata, ‘Take’ (i.e. file-spanning) information in
the clip will be inherited.

2. Bug Fixes

-Fixed a defect that caused MXF clips transcoded from MP4 clips on SxS memory using
XDCAM Browser to not be recognized by XDCAM Station or PMW-500 devices.

- (Mac OS Only) Improved the GUI-redraw/video performance while viewing proxy files from QL-WO discs.

- (Mac OS Only) Fixed a bug which caused MXFfiles exported from Final Cut Pro 7 to QL-WO discs to fail.

- (Mac OS only) Fixed the format violation when exporting specified MP4 files from Final Cut Pro 7.

- Fixed a defect which caused files created by Edius and other NLEs which do not generate
NRT metadata XML files to fail to import to SxS media correctly
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #6
Vortex Media

It should be noted that some of those features require a paid upgrade -- including some of them in Dave's post that don't actually mention it -- such as display of audio level meters.

Please refer to the whole Release Notes document for all the details.
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Ok thanks guys..

I don't even see where there is the option to down load paid functions..

My reticence is due to the problems I had with 64GB UDF format cards and mac 10.7.3. Which now both Sony in the US and Japan have said there is a software issue.. so i changed my order to 32 GB cards.. luckily !! and all is fine.. so just a bit worried not to break the old adage .. if its not broken don't try to fix it.. :)

Sorry just to re confirm.. I don't have to junk the previous v2.. just down load onto of it..?

BTW loving my PMW500.. great camera for the price.. nice and light..

Thanks again
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #8
Major Player

Just do the upgrade, you don't have to remove the former version. Works like a charm.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I don't have the time to explain the differences. But it doesn't matter anyway because there is no reason not to upgrade. Just do it. :-)
A question for anyone, I use xd transfer to convert my ex footage, and then use it in fcp, is this the best way to keep the footage at its best quality, or can someone tell me how to keep , or convert the footage to QT , at the heighest Qty. I have never used XD Browser. So not sure if it's better.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Just do the upgrade, you don't have to remove the former version. Works like a charm.
Ok thanks..
Old June 7th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
A question for anyone, I use xd transfer to convert my ex footage, and then use it in fcp, is this the best way to keep the footage at its best quality, or can someone tell me how to keep , or convert the footage to QT , at the heighest Qty. I have never used XD Browser. So not sure if it's better.
Robert, there is no quality difference between the older XDCAM Transfer workflow and the newer XDCAM Browser workflow. Nether of the two programs does anything to the video clips that would help or harm the image. So,i f quality is your only concern, then you can go either way.

But XDCAM Transfer is out date and won't be upgraded any further. Clips shot with my F3 won't even work with it anymore. So eventually you'll have to switch to XDCAM Browser so you might as well just do it now. It's nice to have the functions of XDCAM EX Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer all wrapped into one program -- now that the bugs have been worked out. There are also some new features and functions in the new software you didn't have before. Maybe they'll matter to you, maybe they won't, but there's still no reason not to upgrade.
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Just a quick question...

If I try to import MXF files into 2.1 I cant see them, but can if I actually import them from my folders. Were-as EX files do show up when browsing my directories.

So the only way to see my MXF files is to import them rather than browse for them?

Tim.
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Tim, I don't really understand what you are asking but I might be able to help if you provide more information or clarified what it is you are experiencing.

I will say that on all of my Macs, working with MXF files from my F800 or PMW-100 is every bit as easy as working with MP4 files from my XDCAM EX cameras. I can browse, import, manage one type of file as easily as the other.

If you're having trouble with MXF I recommend you start troubleshooting by making sure that all of your drivers are the latest version.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lucas View Post
Just a quick question...

If I try to import MXF files into 2.1 I cant see them, but can if I actually import them from my folders. Were-as EX files do show up when browsing my directories.

So the only way to see my MXF files is to import them rather than browse for them?

Tim.
Yes, because XDCAM browser treats MXFs in a folder structure like if it was on a XDCAM Professional Disc or a UDF formatted SxS. Plain MXF files have to be imported into a folder to create the XDCAM Disc/UDF SxS folder structure inside that folder.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Great, thanks for explaining that.

One other thing is that when I am importing MXF files, an error come up that says:

"Failed to import the clip. Reason: The same clip exists".

When I view the clips on XDCam Transfer, there clearly are no duplicate clips. So a bit odd.

Even if I rename the clip it still will not import.

Tim.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds