EVF vs LCD for EX-1/3 focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

EVF vs LCD for EX-1/3 focus

I have been a Panasonic HPX-170 user for years, but will be switching to the PMW-200 when it is available later this month. My question is - for best focusing indoors at the telephoto end, should I plan on using the EVF or the LCD ? The PMW-200 appears to use the same EVF and LCD as the EX-1 and EX-3.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: EVF vs LCD for EX-1/3 focus

The 200 has a better LCD than the EX1 and EX3.

My suggestion is turn on Peaking and use the LCD. The area the EVF covers of your vision is not enough to pick out what is in focus or not.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Major Player

A little-known fact. You can screw a diopter lens (or a stack of them) into the EVF of the EX3 and increase the magnification by however much you want to. Makes focusing a lot easier.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Trustee

Hey Steven, do you have any links or names of diopters that fit onto the EX3? Any diagrams or pics? Do you take off the rubber eye piece?

Thanks,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds