brown lines across the screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Tourist

brown lines across the screen

Hi, hope someone can help...
I got two thick horizontal brown lines moving slowly down the screen in a tungsten lit indoor shoot (see http://tvi.com.au/downloads/lines.jpg). The lines weren't visible during the shoot. My XDCAM EX3 (in full manual mode) had given a strange white balance reading, much redder than expected, when preparing for the shoot. Twice. I went with it because I'd been wrong before in judging colour temperature.
Fixing them has been hell in post.
I tested the camera afterwards in all light conditions and all the settings I could think of and have been unable to reproduce the problem.
Any ideas as to what might have caused it?
Many thanks
Claudio
Claudio Paroli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: brown lines across the screen

Welcome to the forum Claudio. Was this some sort of interference? Were you running on battery or AC power?

If AC, and you see those lines again, try swapping to battery or change to another outlet, especially if it's an old house with very old wiring.
The earth might be stuffed.

Cheers.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Most likely a fluorescent or other discharge light spilling into the scene somewhere.
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Add my vote to possible fluorescent light being the culprit.

The part about the odd white balance along with the lines are what lead me to agree with Alister's diagnosis.
Old September 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I know that problem too! (even without fluorescent light!)
My theory is, that you used a fast shutterspeed; that way you get these brown lines as a result of an missmatch between the flicker-frequency of the lightsource (50hz in Europe, 60 in US) and the Shutter / CMOS-Rolling Shutter-problem. (That Part of the Image is "darker", in wich the light was flickering.... keep in mind that the cmos-sensor is not read completely at one time, but line after line; check this out: CMOS Rolling Shutter (about partial exposure) )
Also make shure you have set your camera to the correct region (PAL or NTSC) you are filming in.
Whenever i run into that problem, it helps to set Shutter:off or try to find the specific shutter speed that matches.
Thomas Nibler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds