Can't play EX-1 Quicktime MOV files on PC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 1st, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Trustee

Can't play EX-1 Quicktime MOV files on PC

I shot some EX-1, F3 and Canon DSLR footage for a client who only has a PC ( new one ).
I converted the SxS to quicktime MOV files and gave him everything on a Mac OS hard drive.

He downloaded Macdrive for the PC and has Quicktime and MPEG Streamclip.

The PC will read the drive and both quicktime and MPEG streamclip will play the Canon footage but neither will play the Sony footage. PC says it doesn't have the codec although it has a recent version of Quicktime.

What's the problem here?

Will VLC help?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can't play EX-1 Quicktime MOV files on PC

VLC is trial and error. Apple re-wraps XDCAM into a new FourCC code that Windows will flat out not recognize. Once you re-wrap XDCAM to MOV, it can pretty much only be read on computers with the FCP Pro Codecs installed.

You could try Calibrated QXD to see if that helps. It's not free unfortunately. http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/qxd.asp

If you have the original camera files, that's the ideal way to go. The MP4 files from the original card are guaranteed to be played on VLC. It's also compatible with Premiere Pro and Vegas.

PLEASE treat your SxS card contents as your original files. (or film negatives) If you don't, and you just convert to MOV and delete the card contents, these issues will occur and they're VERY hard to solve.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks,

I always keep the original BAVC files and gave those to the client along with the converted MOV files . I figured the MOV would be easier to deal with.
So will VLC read from the BAVC folders?

Can they also just download Sony XDCAM Browser for windows?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, inside the BPAV folders, under the CLPR folders, inside each take's folder, the MP4 file is playable in VLC.

Content Browser allows you to see thumbnails and it can playback spanned files seamlessly.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Major Player

You may find that VLC will actually play the files properly. I had audio problems with previous VLC versions, but the current version (2.0.5) does a good job on my pc's of playing final cut MOV's, as well as NanoFlash files that have been recorded at 100Mbps in Final Cut MOV format.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The MP4s from the BPAV folders are what I know are guaranteed to work. At the same time, I've just tested 100Mbps MOV nanoFlash footage on VLC and it only plays 1 channel at a time, same with MXF footage. For some reason, VLC does not like drop frame MXFs in NTSC. There are still audio issues with those MXFs. 24p MXFs however play fine in VLC.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Major Player

yes, the single selected audio channel aspect can be a PITA.
I guess my clients that request the MOVs are always non-drop, since I never noticed the drop-frame issue.
And of course when just dealing with the SxS or XDcam data I'll usually simply use XDcam Browser (or the old PDZ-VX10 XDcam Viewer, which is my favorite for MXF files)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds