US Updates for PMW-100/160/200/500 Posted at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 6th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Major Player

US Updates for PMW-100/160/200/500 Posted

US Updates for PMW-100/160/200/500 finally posted. Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Also Content Browser updated; http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/contentbrowser
Old June 6th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: US Updates for PMW-100/160/200/500 Posted

Sony UK had these updates for quite a while. Also, 1.30 for the EX1R and EX1 is still not available on Sony US, only Sony UK.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #3
New Boot

I personally contacted Sony USA and the updates where not released because of errors that they found. At that time, they where also pulled from the Sony Asia site. Anybody that jumped the gun on the early release should probably re-update, if that is possible, from the USA site.
Duane Dubiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:23 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
US Updates for PMW-100/160/200/500 finally posted. Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Also Content Browser updated; Sony Creative Software - Download: Content Browser 2.0
Cant get the up date to down load to my mac.. tried 3 times.. has worked before from the same site..??
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Major Player

"Cant get the up date to down load to my mac.. tried 3 times.. has worked before from the same site..??"

Have you tried a different browser? Are you using IE, Chrome or FireFox? (all of which should work fine -- Safari often seems to have problems, so use something other than that.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks.. yes using Safari.. but it did work before.. and for browser and UDF driver.. I only have safari ..
I read the notes and actually there isnt anything in this up grade that I need.. should I update anyway ?
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
"Cant get the up date to down load to my mac.. tried 3 times.. has worked before from the same site..??"

Have you tried a different browser? Are you using IE, Chrome or FireFox? (all of which should work fine -- Safari often seems to have problems, so use something other than that.)
Just tried Chrome.. no cigar WTF.. very odd .. ??
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Major Player

update

down loaded fine with safari from the UK site ...

thanks
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #9
New Boot

If the Sony Asia firmware update had errors how would you uninstall and re-install the US version of the update?
Ashley Gasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Apologies for being a bit thick, but I've not had to carry out a firmware update as yet. The manual doesn't give any hints either which is unfortunate.

So, I downloaded the update from Sony. Dropped it onto my SDHC card via the express card adaptor on my laptop. But when I put it into the camera (PMW 500) and nothing happened.

So, obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can updates be downloaded to an SDHC card or does it have to be a SxS card? Or is there something else?

The latest 1.4 binary update doesn't have anything that'll I'll use at the moment, so not too worried. But will need to know how to do it at some point when an update will be useful.

Tips and hints welcomed. I originally thought I'd only have to connect the camera to the lapto via its USB slot but read somewhere it has to be downloaded to a card.

Also, anyone using the wifi adaptor and, if so, is it any good and/or a worthwhile upgrade??

Many thanks
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Major Player

Down load to SXS card.There is a "how to" PDF that comes with the down load.But it appears when they say flip up the VF (to see the phase info) they mean the side LCD screen..
I was advised my Sony to up grade anyway.. even if you are not using the latest features
Old June 19th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Dubiel View Post
I personally contacted Sony USA and the updates where not released because of errors that they found. At that time, they where also pulled from the Sony Asia site. Anybody that jumped the gun on the early release should probably re-update, if that is possible, from the USA site.
I had no troubles noted with the Sony Asia site. Isn't this a universal worldwide camera? One firmware update for all cameras worldwide? If there is a new firmware release, even if correcting a few errors, it would have to be given a new number.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #13
New Boot

Again, I took the time to call, because it was pulled from the Asia site and wasn't available. This was a while ago. I then called the Sony USA and said they found some errors and they where being fixed and that is why it was available from the Asia site at that time and wasn't being released on the USA site. What errors, I don't know. Why the version number isn't changed, I don't know? I guess if you want answers, contact Sony.

Someone told me not to jump the gun on downloading new updates until they are released here in the US by the USA Sony site, because they look over the downloads carefully for errors. It seems to be what happened, or what I was told over the phone.
Duane Dubiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 03:44 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Langdon View Post
Apologies for being a bit thick, but I've not had to carry out a firmware update as yet. The manual doesn't give any hints either which is unfortunate.

So, I downloaded the update from Sony. Dropped it onto my SDHC card via the express card adaptor on my laptop. But when I put it into the camera (PMW 500) and nothing happened.

So, obviously I'm doing something wrong. Can updates be downloaded to an SDHC card or does it have to be a SxS card? Or is there something else?

The latest 1.4 binary update doesn't have anything that'll I'll use at the moment, so not too worried. But will need to know how to do it at some point when an update will be useful.

Tips and hints welcomed. I originally thought I'd only have to connect the camera to the lapto via its USB slot but read somewhere it has to be downloaded to a card.

Also, anyone using the wifi adaptor and, if so, is it any good and/or a worthwhile upgrade??

Many thanks
Drop the Update .BIN in the /PRIVATE/SONY/ folder. Not the root of the card.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 04:46 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Sorry, not sure what you mean. The update is in a folder which is currently sitting in the Downloads section on My Computer.
Kevin Langdon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds