XDCAM Work-Flow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 10th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Major Player

XDCAM Work-Flow

What a pleasure it is to work in XDCAM! It just works!! I took some 'home videos' this past Sunday of my best friend, his Son-In-Law, and I demolishing a small house (my buddies Mom's old house). Nobody was 'maimed' and no animals were harmed in the making of the video. : ) While there were a few bumps and bruises the only 'casualty' was my Goddaughter's iPhone. It took a tumble off of the roof of the main house where she and her Mother were observing the festivities. The iPhone's LCD was shattered, but still seemed to work. Go figure? Heh, heh!

I took the SxS cards directly from the camera and down-loaded the clips to my laptop. The following day, I loaded the same 'clips' to my 1TB external drive at home. Doug Jensen, during his Workshop drove-home the concept of making 2 copies of your clips in two separate Drive locations and I have tried to adhere to this principal. The only problems I encountered were all 'operator-induced', I was trying to rush things. I love it when a plan comes together and when software works!

"XDCAM Browser" is a great tool and certainly makes organizing your clip library much simpler. I'm not a computer guru and embrace the 'KISS' principal, so this very simple work-flow is perfect for me.

I'm not sure it gets any easier.

Thanks for playing along,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XDCAM Work-Flow

Am I the only one who shares James' enthusiasm? I fully agree: the XDCAM workflow, especially with the browser software and an SxS card reader or a laptop with a suitable slot, is as easy as it gets. Hassle-free, reliable, and delivering outstanding quality. What more can you want?
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Major Player

Luc...I appreciate the 'support'! However, I think we are "preaching to the Choir". Heh, heh!

XDCAM is an integrated 'system' approach, I certainly like the way it all plays together. My NLE is Vegas Pro, which helps with the 'Workflow'. My 'assumption' being , Sony products will integrate well with it's own product-line, although, that may be asking too much. : ) My only issue is I get 'choppy' playback using XDCAM Browser Preview window expanded to full-size. I think it's a 'setting' I haven't found to 'smooth' the playback.

I'm considering spending the additional $200 on the XDCAM upgrade. I like the 'additional' audio tools the upgrade provides. Although, I haven't decided if the expanded functionality is worth the expense.

Thanks for playing along,

J.
Old June 22nd, 2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Trustee

Sony's workflow is very reliable. That is the most important thing. I shoot with DSLR's, REDs, Pani's, and in the past HDV cams. My goto camera for corporate shots, theatrical events, and run and gun quick turnaround projects is my trusted Sony EX3. Hundreds of projects later and the only error I have every had was due to operator stupidity (yes mine).
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Major Player

Garrett...after 30-years in Aerospace, I subscribe to the K.I.S.S., philosophy. : ) It's perfect for me.

J.
Old June 24th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree with you guys too. The EX3 has been my 'go to' camera for years and the workflow has been smooth and super fast. I hope it will be same for the newly announced 300!
Andrew Bower is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds