PMW 200 vs NX5 (form factor) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

PMW 200 vs NX5 (form factor)

Folks.

Yet to view an actual PMW 200 as yet, but on spec alone, I am looking to purchase one in next before November.

Can anyone advise how the size and weight compare to a HXR-NX5 (which is what I currently use for mostly handheld work)

regards

Justin.
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: PMW 200 vs NX5 (form factor)

Hi, Justin! I previously owned an 'NX5U' and I currently own a PMW-200. Both, are excellent cameras. Of course, the 'NX5U' is an AVCHD 4:2:0 camera at 35 Mbps (Max) and the PMW-200 is an XDCAM 4:2:2 camera at 50 Mbps (Max).

The 'feel' of the PMW-200 is slightly 'slimmer'. It's hard to explain. To me, the 'NX5U' was like a 'Plow Horse', a little 'thick', whereas the PMW-200 is a Race Horse. An I-Net search, and a look-through the 'Owners Manual - Specifications', will give you with dimensions for each camera.

Overall, the physical layout of the controls on the PMW-200 is almost identical to the NX5U. I found the transition to be especially easy after viewing Doug Jensen's (Vortex Media) training DVD "XDCAM HD422 Mastering Sony's PMW-200, -160, -150, -100 XDCAM Cameras". Even if I had chosen not to purchase the PMW-200, the training DVD would have been money well spent. The DVD is a treasure trove of information regarding some of the more esoteric features of the camera. I would recommend purchasing a copy.

Just to let you know, I have no business relationship with Vortex Media beyond being a happy customer.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I second pretty much all of this ^^^^ I just picked up 2 of the 200's and I'm very pleased with them. They don't look very good out of the box, but slap in Doug's settings and you're done.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks .. Jerry and James.

Can I ask, is the PMW-200 a longer camera than the NX5. I am confused by images on the net.. it appears in some cases a longer length camera (however, these shot do tend to have a quite large batteries on the back)
** I can see that the camera is slimmer (as James mentioned)

As I mentioned, I shoot mostly handheld, I can tell from specs that the PMW is marginally heavier; however if the size of the camera is pretty close to the NX5 I would be happy with that. I just want to be sure that it is not too much camera that I would have to use a tripod more often .... Because where I shoot an the subjects do not lend themselves to tripod use.

regards

Justin.
Justin Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Justin...I'm not quite sure what pictures you're looking at, but the only thing that comes to mind is you're seeing the PMW-200 images with the largest, BP-U90 battery (~12cm) in-place or the shortest, BP-U30 battery (~4.5cm) on-board.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds