mxf to prores at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Major Player

mxf to prores

shot something with my ex1r for a client, unfortunately they use final cut pro,and they cant play my mxf files on their timeline.not sure which version they have. so they want me to convert the mxf to prores. I edit on edius and although I have a lot of conversion options I don't see apple prores.
any idea how to do this. someone said something about a sony transfer utility ,not sure what this is
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: mxf to prores

All they have to do is use Sony's Content Browser utility software to create a copy of the files during ingest that are rewrapped from MXF to MOV. This workflow does not transcode the files so it is very fast and does not affect the quality or size of the video files. Transcoding to ProRes is not necessary. BTW, this workflow has been in place since 2007 and is widely used by most FCP users.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
Major Player

where do they get this sony content browser for their mac?
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Vortex Media

I gave you the link in my first post.
I'm surprised you aren't already using it on your PC. It really is an integral part of any XDCAM workflow.
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Major Player

doug, im using clip browser to transfer my files from my camera. should I be using content instead?
when I dl it, its asking for a serial number. not sure what number theyre talking about, its longer than the 6 digit serial number on my camera
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Major Player

ok, im using the 30 day trial since I have no idea what long serial number theyre talking about, not the same as my ex1r serial number.
anyway, in content browser, I have a long mxf file in a folder that I brought over through clip browser.
how do I convert this file into a .mov file. like I said client is edting on final cut. he wanted pro res.
not really seeing any instructions on how to convert
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Content Browser replaced Clip Browser about two years ago, and everyone should migrate to the new program. But if the older software is working for you, I guess you can stay for the time being. Your choice.

Content Browser used to be free until a couple of months ago, now Sony might be charging for it in some circumstances. I don't agree with that business decision, but you'll have to check with Sony on how to get a serial number if you don't want to pay for it. It is not asking for the serial number from your camera.

YOU will never be able to convert the MXF files to MOV with the Sony software because you are on a PC. But your clients can do it easily enough with the Mac version of Content Browser since they also have FCP installed. In other words, you can't do it for them, they have to do that step themselves.

However, as I said before, they will NEVER be able to convert the MXF's directly to ProRes with any of the Sony software and not with FCP either. First they need to rewrap the files to MOV with Content Browser, and then they can either edit those XDCAM files natively in FCP ( recommended) or batch convert all the files to ProRes from within FCP. But in my opinion, that is a total waste of time and effort. They should try editing the native files first and not bother with ProRes because there is no benefit at all. All they'll get is bigger files sizes and wasted time rendering for their trouble.

If you need more info, it might be worth it to pay 5 bucks to watch this online tutorial which is an excerpt from my PMW-200 training DVD. Vortex Media: Pay-Per-View Videos
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Major Player

A disturbing trend amongst small prod companies/clients that they are expecting the camera person to be doing post/editors work for them for nothing .. presumably they wanted the cheapness of the Ex1. rather than shoot with an Alexa and get pro res files direct from camera..
Ex1 is likely the most used camera on earth for professional/semi pro video..and the MXF files it produces.. FCP is also used by millions.. well maybe a few less these days :)

My point is.. this isn't even your problem.. you have done your job.. they might as well ask you to clean their cars too..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #9
Vortex Media

Robin, you are absolutely right. The XDCAM workflow is well-established and has been in place since 2007. Any professional production company ought to be familiar by now with the steps necessary to manage, ingest, and edit the footage for their particular NLE -- and if they aren't, it's their own job to get up to speed and learn it.
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Doug, I really appreciate your comments.
On this job which I do a lot for the school it was a graduation. no way they would shoot that on an alexa
I found out he has Final Cut Pro X. (not express).
he cant seem to figure out the content browser, besides, the trial I found out has a watermark, but he didn't even get that far.

I hate to be so persistent, but is there a solution you can explain to me to give him the file he needs.
They should have gotten this out by now.

Robin thanks for your response as well. I don't mind helping them, I get a lot of work from them throughout the year. but this would have been a lot easier if they were editng on a pc. I use grass valley edius.no issues, and most of all no rendering of any kind, but getting off subject.
any input welcome.
keep in mind these mxf files I have have been off the card for months and I brought them into my system via clip browser.

Understand I know nothing about final cut/macs, so id appreciate an easy path to how to do this.i thought of checking out CNET to see if there are any free softwares to DL that will get the desired result.
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Major Player

Doug,
one more thing,
someone suggested I have them DL this from sony, 2.12, first one on page
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...el-PDZKP1.aspx

haven't looked at it to see if its same thing you sent me to dl.
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Jim, I'm afraid I've given all the advice I can give you in this thread already and I would just be repeating the same stuff. Perhaps you should have the client read the information here themselves and maybe they'll be able to understand it better since they are the ones that actually use the Macs. And of course there is the video I suggested that explains the workflow in detail. If it ain't worth 5 bucks to your client for some training, then it sure isn't worth my time to keep saying the same thing over and over again.

You know, someone new to XDCAM and reading this thread might think the workflow is complicated and hard, but it is not. It is simple, elegant, and very fast when the proper steps are followed. But trying to buck the system or create workarounds for problems that don't really exist is where it falls apart real fast. Have them read the Sony manual for the FCP workflow -- it's all there.
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
Doug,
one more thing,
someone suggested I have them DL this from sony, 2.12, first one on page
https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...el-PDZKP1.aspx

haven't looked at it to see if its same thing you sent me to dl.
If you feel that downloading software that Sony stopped supporting nearly three years ago is a good idea, give it a try. As I said before, Content Browser is what people who keep current with the software use today.
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Major Player

if that converts it, that's all I care about.
thanks for you help.
like I said content browser has a watermark
Old September 6th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Major Player

Content Browser v1.1
Sony Creative Software - Download:

You can download this version (choose mac) without a serial number and it should work for you or your client. It is what I use for all my XDCAM work.

As Doug states, they do not need ProRes to edit XDCAM.

Also:
Final Cut Pro X: Importing Sony XAVC, XDCAM, XDCAM HD, and XDCAM EX media
and you can find the plugin here:
Sony | Micro Site XDCAM
Bob Willis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds