Playing out EX3 clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Playing out EX3 clips

I've never had much luck playing out EX3 clips on my laptop. Perhaps it's to slow but I can play P2 clips with no issues nice and smooth.

Dell 1.6ghz, Pentium M, XP Pro-SP2, 512Mb ram

From inside Content Browser (have the trial version running) the clip appears to the right but stutters and stops.

Even tried to play just the clips from outside the Browser and still no luck. The clips are in MP4 format and I have QT 7 installed but I get an error if I try to play the clips by themselves.

Is my system just to darn slow for this or am I missing a codec or some other file?
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Playing out EX3 clips

I think your LT is a bit marginal. More RAM may help but better CPU and GPU is definitely recommended. A fast healthy HD or SSD helps too.

This 4 core setup has absolutely no problems even editing and playing back several streams w/o rendering.
Attached Thumbnails
Playing out EX3 clips-screen-shot-2013-11-30-10.25.39-am.png  
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, but I till feel there is something else going on. I can play the mp4 clips themselves on my old Dell 2.4gz P4 machine using media player. They are out of sync audio wise but they play smooth. Do not have clip browser on it either.

And, as I said, PII cards with files at 100mbit/sec also work fine. XDCAM is only 35mbit/sec.

Still would like to know why they do not open QT7. Guess I'll keep working on it. Be nice to be able to
check a clip off of the camera in the field.
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

XDCam is a more complex compression method and requires more computer horsepower to play back. DVCPro100 is much simpler and easier to play back.

A single core pentium processor is below the minimum spec needed to play back XDCam.

If you try different software download a copy of VLC Media player and give it a go. If it won't play the file smoothly nothing will on your computer.

Edit:
You will need an addon for QT to play XDCam files.
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Back when I had a slow laptop I would use Clip Browser/ XDcam Browser to rewrap the selected clip(s) into MXF files which would then actually play surprisingly well using Sony PDZ10 XDcam Player. On the same system, Clip Browser would stutter and halt on the orig camera footage. Over the years I've also found QuickTime on slower windows machines anywhere from clunky to marginal.
As Chris suggests, VLC may be an option, though there are also sometimes issues with only hearing one of the audio tracks in VLC.
Of course my real advice is to move forward and get a fast laptop with USB3 - Doing so has cut down my SxS transfer times considerably.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys.

I see your point. Christmas is coming : )
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #7
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
Of course my real advice is to move forward and get a fast laptop with USB3 - Doing so has cut down my SxS transfer times considerably.
That's my advice too.
In fact, even though I am 100% Mac in all other ways, I just purchased a $350 11" notebook PC (Windows 7) last month for transferring client footage from the SxS cards to a portable hard drive in the field. It's got three USB 3.0 ports and runs Content Browser perfectly.

I have the computer insalled in a Pelican briefcase with the the Sony card reader and it takes up no room in my vehicle. I don't even need AC power and i's amazing how fast I can transfer the footage.

If you're shopping for a solution like this, make sure the computer has at least TWO USB 3.0 ports. A lot of them that I looked at only had one.

Here's the PC I got ,in case anyone is interested.
Amazon.com: Acer Aspire V5-131-2629 11.6" Laptop (Black): Computers & Accessories

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds