EX to iMovie or to PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Trustee

EX to iMovie or to PC?

I have a client that wants to be able to view EX-1 files to make editorial decisions that I will later execute by editing in FCP 7.
FCP is too complicated and she wants to be able to isolate chucks of footage and arrange them rather than just writing time code numbers of preferred takes. At first I set her up with XDCAM browser but that didn't allow her isolate chunks of footage and make more thoughtful decisions. In the past she used highly compressed files and a simple editing program called "video pad", but this time we are thinking of iMovie.

My problem - how the hell do I get from SxS card to iMovie? She doesn't even need full quality video, anything to allow her to make decisions.

(On her computer I couldn't even get XDCAM Browser to make .mov files since she didn't have the XDCAM codec. Couldn't download that because she didn't have FCP.)

Similar but probably more complicated problem. It would be good to also be able to do this on a PC which I know nothing about at all.

Any help out there? This should not be so complicated
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX to iMovie or to PC?

If she's on a PC I'd aim her at Vegas Pro... It's simple and can handle a lot of types of files. I think the demo is free for 30 days, so that's an easy way to check it out.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Here is something i just came across on the web and I'm wondering if it will work.

My problem is that iMovie won't edit using XDCAM EX .mov or pro res files because it doesn't have the codec and Apples Proapps installer won't work without FCP installed.

However there is a little program called "unpkg" that will allow you to install the codecs on a non FCP machine.

Would that do the trick? would it also allow XDCAM browser or Log & Transfer make XDCAM EX .mov's from the SxS cards?
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sony's XDCAM Transfer utility supports exporting to DV on computers without FCP. Those DV files go right into iMovie.

If she wants to do any logging of the footage while in XDCAM Transfer, you can transfer her BPAV folder back to your system and bring that logging info into FCP 7 (not all fields of the logging screens correspond to FCP fields so experiment first).
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Trustee

I tried making a window dub in Final Cut and exported out as an NTSC DV file, but iMovie didn't seem to accept it. Maybe because I don't know anything at all about iMovie?
Old December 4th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

In Content Browser I wish sony would make it possible arrange clips in a folder in a user order and then to play all the clips just clicking on the first clip without stopping. This way a client could sort clips in order and by trimming the original and copying to a new folder you could do simple rough cuts.
Old December 4th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I tried making a window dub in Final Cut and exported out as an NTSC DV file, but iMovie didn't seem to accept it. ...
Sorry. It's been a while but it is Sony's XDCAM Browser utility not XDCAM Transfer that lets you export on a system that doesn't have FCP installed. I just remember doing it on a Macbook Air while traveling and using DV.
Attached Thumbnails
EX to iMovie or to PC?-screen-shot-2013-12-04-8.16.14-am.png  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

The Lightworks Pro version can handle EX, you can make selections and use them in various ways. Its storyboard editing is pretty easy to use, which is a quick method of throwing things together and you can try out different versions of a edit. There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you don't carry too much baggage in you can pick it up pretty quickly. Just don't copy and paste, it's more select and do.

There is a 30 day free trial with the Pro version, which can use the EX codecs.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:50 AM   #9
Trustee

Well I ended up making window dubs in FCP7 and exporting as standard def DV. I figured there were a number of programs the client could look at in on including on a PC, and I knew that nearly any machine could handle DV easily.I took more time than I would have liked but at least it solved the problem. Thanks for al the help folks.
(BTW I tried to import DV to iMovie a second time and it worked fine.)
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds