PMW-300 Wifi Setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #1
New Boot

PMW-300 Wifi Setup

Hey all.. I have a PMW300 and I am wondering if anyone else has had success setting up the REMOTE SCREEN on their Laptop or ipad. I am not having any luck. I can see it on my network listing on my laptop. I can select and connect to it, but when I try to pull up the page.. I get nothing. yes I am using rm.html.

Anyone else done this? Please tell me your settings.. And I have also read the manual.. A LOT. :(

Jay
Jay A. Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: PMW-300 Wifi Setup

No one has done this?

Jay
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I havent even tried yet?

Do u need a module? can u connect to a Ipad?
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #4
New Boot

I got it to work. There is VERY little documentation on this. Took a couple days. But once it's working, you can control White Balance, red and blue gain, Focus, Iris, record AND zoom.. As well as have playback controls.

I'll make a tutorial on this and put it online next week. It's important to note that if you follow the brochure, Sony suggests you buy their $300+ wifi adaptor when in fact they sell another one that works for $86.00

Jay

Home
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #5
New Boot

Got it. This is quite a mess from a support standpoint. There are different Wi-Fi Adaptors out there. Gotta pick the right one

I'll put a tutorial up next week on how to do this.

Jay

Home
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The only adapter recommended is the Sony CBK-WA01. If you have managed to make another one work, congratulations, but there is no guarantee that this will be reliable or easy to make work.
Old March 28th, 2014, 03:25 PM   #7
Major Player

I think there is a misunderstanding here but correct me if I am wrong AlisterThe manual calls for an $86.00 Sony USB wifi card:
IFU-WLM3 USB | B&H Photo Video

This allows you to access the controls previously mentioned.l am glad to hear you got a non sony wifi stick working.
The CBK-WA100 is to "a horse of a different colour" and allows wifi video sharing and streaming and with the addition of an internet stick the ability to send proxy files and others I believe back to an edit bay or such.
This is in the manual on page 35.
I have been chasing this unit since I bought the camera and B&H are now looking into when it will be available here in N.A. But I get the feeling that you can get one in Europe and the UK.
Alister?
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I would love some more info on this , Im confused
Old March 29th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Inner Circle

My mistake. On the pre-release cameras only the CBK-WA01 and CBK-WA100 would work with the PMW-300. I have only used these two myself on the 300.

I see that the WLM3 is also suitable. Have to say though that my experience of this dongle in the F5/F55 isn't great. Very short range and a few connectivity issues.
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks for info Alister, is the CBK-WA100 available in the UK? Have you tested it? I am trying to decide whether there is a business case for it as a freelancer. My clients own and use Dejero units but they are out of my price range and frankly overkill for my needs. It would be nice to be able to service them and others with the upcoming festival season here in Montreal. If the snow ever stops!
For anyone looking for more info on what the simple USB IFU-WLM3 can do, Dennis Hingsberg a member here describes it as used on an F5/F55 and I would imagine the control would be the same; You can link to his blog page here and it is very well done with screen shots etc. Thanks to Dennis.
http://www.hingsberg.com/index.php/2...5-wifi-how-to/
If your goal is to view video from the camera on a monitor I would suggest that there are several inexpensive (under $300) HDMI transmitter/receiver kits out there that work quite well. Combine this with the IFU-WLF3 and you can screen and control playback from the monitor remotely.
Cheers
Brian
Old March 30th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I have only used the CBK-WA100 at trade shows and workshops. It's just becoming available now.
It's important to note that it's not really designed for live streaming. It's more a store and forward device. It will create XAVC proxies at 1, 3 and 9Mb/s and upload these via ftp. These are ftp uploads, not live streams. You can also program it to then copy the original media from the SxS cards via ftp if you have enough bandwidth.
It will stream a low frame rate video signal to a tablet or phone for monitoring and to assist with the remote control functions (these are very limited with the current firmware, rec start/stop and zoom if I remember correctly). Unlike the F5/F55 which use a web browser for control, the WA100 is controlled via an app, Sony Content Browser Mobile (available now and for free on apple and android devices).
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Any update on how to do this ?
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:51 AM   #13
Space Hipster

Do you need to buy anything besides the key to make this work? Is there a board you have to install first?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Contributor

I just took the plunge with the wifi adapter IFU-WLM3 and the PMW-200 with its updated firmware allowing for compatibility with the IFU-WLM3. I'm hoping it sets up easily. Based on this link I'm hoping similar procedures will work:

F5/F55 WIFI How-To
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #15
New Boot

Any updates on wifi and the 300?
Dean McDermott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds