DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   xdcam transfer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/523211-xdcam-transfer.html)

Jim Stamos May 11th, 2014 09:43 PM

xdcam transfer

been using clip browser to transfer my footage from sxs in ex1r. told to use xdcam transfer instead. cannot find this anywhere on sony site to download.
had a friend shoot something for me on a pmw200 on sony adapter with sd cards. when I opened clip browser, instead of there being one single clip, it was one long nonstop shoot, it showed 8 clips with x's in them, not like my usual mxf file I see there with ex1r. I had to bring bpav folder to my computer then go into the CLPR folder and there were 8 folders with an mp4file in each one. had to bring them in one at a time and then link them together on my timeline.
never have seen the clips with x's through them before. not sure why.

Brent Kaplan May 11th, 2014 11:14 PM

Re: xdcam transfer

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...el-PDZKP1.aspx

Shaun Roemich May 12th, 2014 11:00 AM

The reason is that 35mbps XDCamEX uses FAT32 file structure, unlike the UDF file structure used by 50mbpsXDCamHD. FAT32 allows a max file size of 4GB so the camera is forced to split the non-stop recording up into multiple segments to be stitched together seamlessly by XDCam Transfer or Content Browser.

And frankly for the $20, Sony's Content Browser is a far more elegant tool.

Bo Skelmose May 13th, 2014 12:40 AM

Love the content browser. Easy just to select the part of clip you want to save, without transcoding to another format.

John DuMontelle May 14th, 2014 07:07 AM

Yes, but you need to transcode if you are editing in Final Cut Pro 7.
And XDCam Transfer lets you do the same "selection" of what you want to import just like Content Browser.

Shaun Roemich May 14th, 2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John DuMontelle (Post 1845138)
Yes, but you need to transcode if you are editing in Final Cut Pro 7.

No transcoding at all of XDCam material in Content Browser. It just rewraps the .mp4 material into a QT wrapper and looks after clip spanning if necessary. No quality loss.

John DuMontelle May 17th, 2014 07:34 AM

I guess my terminology was not correct.

However...in order to use BPAV files in Final Cut Pro 7...you need to...rewrap the .mp4 material into a QT wrapper using XDCam Transfer and there's no quality loss.

Not to be confused with "transcoding".

Dave Sperling May 17th, 2014 11:01 AM

Going back to the original question about the black frames with the X's in them...

This happened to me a while ago with my F3 - after updating the firmware version. Something had changed (presumably in the file headers) and clip browser could no longer 'see' the clips. At that point Clip Browser was already old, so I updated my computer system to (at that point) XDcam Browser and all those clips became visible. Clip Browser was already two generations old when the PMW200 came out - so my best guess is that its files use the newer header structure, similar to the F3, and hence are not directly viewable in Clip Browser. So it really is about time you updated to Content Browser (or even the older XDcam Browser).

Of course I no longer have Clip Browser installed anywhere, so I can't actually test whether the 4:2:0 (BPAV) files from my PMW200 would create black frames in Clip Browser. They do work fine in XDcam Browser and in Content Browser.

Jim Stamos May 17th, 2014 05:54 PM

actually those files came from the pmw200 that was my second camera guy. maybe that's y

Shaun Roemich May 18th, 2014 12:17 PM

As a PMW200 owner I can attest that when I first tried to import my PMW200 footage (XDCamEX 35mbps in that case), that I had issues with footage showing up in XDCam Transfer. I installed Content Browser and all my problems went away.

That was my solution.

Jim Stamos May 18th, 2014 04:25 PM

content browser a free dl?

Shaun Roemich May 18th, 2014 04:48 PM

$20, unless you own a PMW200/300 series camera.

Well worth it.

Shaun Roemich May 18th, 2014 04:50 PM

Of course, one COULD argue that IF your second shooter insisted on using his/her own PMW200 instead of a specified EX1 or EX3, there would be a reasonable expectation of them providing usable footage and asking them to transcode the camera card files to .MXF or .MOV QuickTime files with XDCamEX codec footage would seem to be fair in hindisght.

But $20 to me seems like a small price to pay in a professional environment.

Anthony Nalli May 18th, 2014 05:04 PM

I think I must be just to used to using XDCAM Transfer - I can't for the life of me figure out how to get footage from my SxS cards to a portable hard drive to send back to the studio for the post team using Content Browser. I don't see anything obvious (to me) in Export, but I think that's because I'm looking for something with "MOV" in it.

Could someone give a simpleton like me a short step-by-step from the part where I'm viewing the SxS card in Content Browser?

Anthony

Shaun Roemich May 18th, 2014 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Navigate to the directory with the media on your card, click Edit => Copy All and follow the dialog boxes.