Is the Sony EX1 still a good camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 9th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Is the Sony EX1 still a good camera?

My Father passed away recently and he left behind a Sony EX1. I would only be using it to shoot my kids sports, kids at the park, etc.

Is this still a good camera or should I be looking for something else?

Also, it has a Tiffen 77MM clear UV filter on it that has a slight haze over the glass, what is the best way to clean it?

Do I even need a filter?

Thanks in advance,
Sam
Sam Striano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Slash Rules!

Re: Is the Sony EX1 still a good camera?

heck yes its a good cam! GREAT even! until 4k becomes standard for acquisition that cam should serve you very well. fully featured pro level camera with a very sharp lens.

are there newer hd cams with TECHNICALLY better specs and features? sure, but when you get down to it the average person wouldnt notice an improvement in image quality compared to the EX. unless you had a client demanding footage with a higher bitrate/better codec/better color space, i would say stick with that cam. if i myself had one i'd see no reason to upgrade til 4k shooting becomes standard.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

re: filter-- some folks leave one on all the time to protect the lens, i dont. plus the ex has the barn door style lens cap.

cleaning? microfiber cloth/lens tissue and lens cleaning fluid. maybe canned air though thats one of those controversial topics. yes really.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the feedback!! I am excited to get it going and shoot some footage.
Sam Striano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #5
Major Player

Sam, for shooting your kids and the like, you might want to get something less expensive. You should be sure you are aware of how much that camera is worth. Check recent ebay sales. It could be a good thing for you to sell it now, while it is still worth a lot, and use that money to find something more suitable to wandering around with your kids. It's really a pro camera and it still has a lot of value to a pro shooter. Just sayin'.
Old December 10th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #6
Equal Opportunity Offender

Hi Sam,

I've used the EX1 as a B-cam (wide shots) with my super-wonderful Sony PMW-300 and it's been fantastic. (See sample video here where you will see a wide shot from the EX1 at the beginning.)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello there,

I have been offered a used EX1, I haven't seen her up close yet, but I am tempted.

Thinking about a camcorder that will complement my Canon dSLR in long form events.
Any caveats I should watch out for? Or should I look elsewhere?

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

I don't know the camera super well, but the one that I have used for wide shots was the main camera that was used to film the Return of the Catalina documentary.

See here:

(the seated interviews have been shot since the doco filming and with a different camera)

These days it is held together with gaff tape. Still works well as long as you don't mind using the slide out screen on the side.

The only thing that I can think of as being a limiting factor is that (to the best of my knowledge) its codec for HD video is limited to 35Mb/sec so it doesn't do the 50Mb/sec that my PMW-300 will. That said, to me it is still a solidly good camera. It will likely be just as good today as it was back then.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 03:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

the ex-1 has an excellent pictrue, unfortunately it is crippled with many problems that makes it an average camera.
The the proprietary media format (SxS cards) is obsolete (at least for fullHD).
The ergonomic of the camera is bad (unbalanced and too heavy)
Some bugs (like the white labels on the case that are fading, or the battery draw even when camera off).
The EX1-R was a lot better camera
All in one if you got it , it is a nice camera to use for picture quality, but the resale value is very low.
So keep it.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #10
Trustee

still a GREAT camera. am thinking about picking up a second as a back up!
Old March 5th, 2017, 05:52 AM   #11
Wrangler

Still very happy with mine. I don't shoot a whole lot these days though and really haven't kept up with newer models. The only think that sometimes bothers me is there can be a slight "jerk" if you try to ease into a slow zoom. Seems to me this was an issue we discussed here a number of years ago, and it may have only affected some cameras.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #12
Major Player

I still use mine! I bought three when they first came out (years ago). I kept one when I downsized my business. I have never had a single problem BUT it is getting old.

One of my friends borrowed mine but he used it with an external SDI recorder. The footage was cut with that from his current EXPENSIVE Sony camera. Hard to tell which camera was used on different scenes.

I have been looking at the current generation of fixed lens Sony cameras but the models I can afford seem to be plagued with lens problems.

The lens on the EX1 cameras seems to be it's strongest feature. I guess I will use it a few more years.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:25 AM   #13
Major Player

Sam: if the filter is hazy, just replace it. I'm a big fan of the B+W clear nano-coat filters, and they're cheap insurance against damaging the prime element of the lens. But yeah, if it's still fully functioning, it's a great little camera.
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:20 AM   #14
Major Player

If anyone is thinking of getting one, go for the EX1R. It is a significant improvement over the original EX1.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well, not that many EX1Rs circulate here in Greece... :-)

N.F.
Nick Fotis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds