would appreciate advice: which Sony software to export to Apple ProRes 422 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 18th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

would appreciate advice: which Sony software to export to Apple ProRes 422

Hi there,
I've only ever exported to Avid MXF (I use Content Browser for that), but a client has asked me to send her Apple ProRes 422 QT files.
I've checked the Sony download site and I'm not sure which is the right utility/software for me.
My computer is a MacBook Pro (Retina), running Yosemite.
My camera, a Sony PMW200
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: would appreciate advice: which Sony software to export to Apple ProRes 422

Malcolm,

Think you are going to need to buy Apple's Compressor for that - check the features on the App store before you buy it though.

Note: I have only ever had the full Final Cut suite (and now FCPX) and Adobe CS6 (and now CC) and I am not sure (off the top of my head - not in front of my Macs at the moment) if that codec comes with Final Cut and/or Compressor.
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply. I was hoping it would be a free tool, though, just as Content Browser (1.1) is.
Content Browser works very well, but although it lets me export to MXF, it doesn't let me export to Apple ProRes 422.
I've been on Sony's site, and there's something called XDCAM Transfer, and I was hoping that might work for me.
But then I saw something called XDCAM Plugin for Apple, which I guess is something else.
That's why I thought I'd ask someone on this forum, who uses both a PMW XDCAM (like my 200) and also a Mac (running Yosemite), who edits in FCP.
If you're pretty sure that I'll need Compressor to export from SxS to Apple ProRes, I guess I'll have to look into it. $60 doesn't sound too bad, but I was hoping there'd be a free piece of software from Sony. Maybe Sony and Apple don't get along, so Sony left out the ProRes export feature?
Regards,
Malcolm
Old April 18th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #4
Trustee

What NLE do you use, FCP 7 or X? What format is your original footage on the SxS card?

Catalyst Browse ON A MAC, should be set to spit out ProRes 422 HQ. Just make sure you transcode only a single clip at a time, there is a levels issue with batch transcoding.

The Sony XDCAM plug in allows FCP to ingest/import XDCAM and XAVC Intra (not 50Mbps XAVC L) natively. I can't get my FCPX to even see XAVC Intra even with the plug in, so go figure.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Vortex Media

First thing I would do is educate the client about the native files from the PMW-200. Unless her computer and NLE are really ancient, there's really no reason to transcode. Maybe she won't take your advice, but I've been 100% successful talking people out of ProRes after I explain the pros and cons.

But, if you can't talk her out if it, use Davinci Resolve Lite for the conversion. It will churn out the ProRes files very quickly and you'll have tons of control over the output. And it's free.
Old April 19th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Thank you Paul and Doug,
I'll talk to my client and hope that she understands.
The last time I did some work for her I sent her my BPAV folders, because I didn't know who she'd be editing with and on what platform. This time she's wanting to save her editor a step, I guess, and have me transcode first. But yes, first thing I'll do is ask whether her editor can just skip transcoding completely.
If I do end up transcoding, I appreciate the suggestion of DaVinci Resolve Lite (free is good, especially for something I may never have to use again!).
Regards,
Malcolm
Old April 20th, 2015, 03:36 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post

But, if you can't talk her out if it, use Davinci Resolve Lite for the conversion. It will churn out the ProRes files very quickly and you'll have tons of control over the output. And it's free.
Hi Doug, so do u think Davinci Resolve Lite in your opinion might be better than using XD Cam XDCAM Browser ? AS a converter to pro res.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:41 AM   #8
Vortex Media

Robert, there's no question I would choose Resolve for transcoding to ProRes over any of the Sony utilities. Resolve offers a ton more power and flexibilty over the export settings. Plus, I feel that a basic understanding of Resolve should be an essential skill for anyone in this business today, so the time and effort to learn Resolve will not be wasted.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds