Best X200 LCD/EVF settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Trustee

Best X200 LCD/EVF settings

I had to manipulate the X180 LCD and EVF to look right, now I need to make my X200 viewers correct.

Can anyone recommend settings they found to work best, especially ones that don't crush the blacks? I have been trying to use the color bars to adjust them, but can't find a brightness only adjustment (+60-70) that doesn't cause the entire screen to turn grey.

And the X200 LCD seems awfully green/yellow. The EVF is practically unusable. It is so low resolution, and has a weird reflective property, along with buried blacks. Can't be used for anything short of framing a shot. Can I physically put my X180 EVF on the X200? That would be sweet. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 01:40 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Best X200 LCD/EVF settings

I could really use help with these, as well as peaking settings that WORK. I cannot figure out how to focus this camera. Shot my very first story with it and literally EVERY SHOT is blurry and out of focus. I need to figure out if there is any possibility of reliably focusing (me!) this unit ASAP, because if not, I need to dump it on eBay quickly without putting hours on it. B&H would want 15% "restocking" fee.

Paul
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey Paul, looks like the X200 is not working as well as you'd hoped!
I just had a quick look and the EVF from the X180 does not detach like the X200 so they're not interchangeable from what I can see.
I used a colour chart and my Atomos Shogun and/or Blackmagic Pocket Ultrascope to get the colours aligned in the vectorscope, but I'm not that familiar with the other picture profile settings and with some it's hard to notice any difference.
Peaking works decently for me until I zoom in and especially in low light it seems non-existent!
Can you show me a short clip of the blurred images and I'll pop out one evening this week and see if I can shoot at night and see what results I get?
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Trustee

Well, I am adjusting to using the X200 LCD. Fortunately, because the X200 is about 1lb (400g) lighter than the X180, I can actually free hold it in the air, rather than needing to brace my tripod sled back against my collar bone for stability. That extra few cm's seems to be enough to allow my poor eyesight to focus on the LCD, but the peaking cannot be used. Unlike my X180 and other actually broadcast cameras, the X200 peaking is not sharpening, but that ugly utterly useless color edge painting. Strangely, the X200 at wide open iris looks on the LCD about as sharp without peaking as the X180 wide open with peaking at night. Haha.

I miss the old front of VF contrast/brightness/peaking dials of the 2/3" cameras. :(

Paul
Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Trustee

+1 - missing the old front of VF contrast/brightness/peaking dials of the 2/3" cameras

in fact there's an awful lot i miss about 'proper' cameras. everything nowadays feels like i'm working with fisher-price toys,,,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds