Sony EX1 - No SDI Output - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2021, 04:10 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Sony EX1 - No SDI Output

Me too.

At least enough works for it to still work for what I want it for and the picture is on par with other EX1s that I've seen. I paid $1000 Canadian so lower than most used on ebay.

I unfortunately gave the seller a good review before checking out all the camera. After finding out the SDI didn't work then it wouldn't play clips in the camera if the component/SDI output was turned on, I started to question everything else.

Thanks for all the discussion here at least and tips.

M
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 06:55 PM   #17
Equal Opportunity Offender

The master reset thing is in the menu somewhere. (I don't have an EX1 with me.)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 01:56 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chafe View Post
most of the button labels are worn down. Was this an issue with the early EX1's? or does that happen anyway?
i've seen a few ex1's with lowish hours but worn labelling. i think it might have a lot to do with peoples fingers (duh!). i mean by that, grease, sweat, combination of that and trying to clean them with the wrong material.

however, like the others have said, yours does sound a bit iffy. do you access to a sony centre, or failing that, a sony qualified repair shop? fortunately here in sydney. we have a terrific independent tech, had him check out my second hand ex1 when i bought it, and flash to ver 1.30. still as good as new 10 or so years on.

good luck.
Old May 20th, 2021, 06:28 AM   #19
Trustee

Ray Purnell no doubt. He's thinking of retiring which means a lot of us will lose our Sony security blanket!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 06:42 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Well a glimmer of light this morning.

I removed the backup battery and left it off overnight. This morning I tried playing a clip in camera just for giggles...and IT WORKS!. I even put it out to a monitor which I was not able to do. Also, it no longer crashes when trying to play a clip. Plays it right through perfectly. Displayed in both SD and HD over component. Still nothing out of the SDI sadly. I'll leave the backup battery out of it for another few days and see if it fixes that too. A bit doubtful, but no harm in trying.

M
Old May 21st, 2021, 01:34 AM   #21
Trustee

oh dear chris, that's a pity to read - ray has been a standby for decades. there was a young asian bloke working alongside him, he handled a few friends camcorders very successfully. maybe he's skilled enough to take on the likes of ex1's, etc?

how's the doco working out?

stay well
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:22 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Everyone, again...

I removed the clock battery, but other than the clock, the camera is still remembering settings in the camera. Is there another battery to remove to stop this from happening? Removing the clock battery seemed to fix the error I was getting while trying to play clips in media mode, unless that was coincidental.

Thanks
M
Old May 26th, 2021, 09:08 PM   #23

How did the master reset go?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2021, 10:34 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delayed reply but looking through the menus and manual the only reset I can find is "All Reset" under the "others menu". Is this the master reset you're talking about or is there something different ? Yup I've done that as well.

I assume the next thjng is replacing the board or BNC connector.

I would still like to try downgrading the firmware if that is possible and if anyone knows where to get older versions. Is there a way to find out how old each camera is? And what firmware it originally came with? Seeing that taking out the coin battery seemed to help in restoring playback ability of clips, I'm interested to see if it's only a software issue.

As I am only using this for webcasts I would like to be able to do 1080 at 30p but 720 at 30p or 1080 interlaced is okay for now as I'm limited to component output.

Thanks
M
Old June 7th, 2021, 05:43 PM   #25

That would be my best guess for the 'master reset' of the camera. Give it a go and see what happens.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds