Sony EX1 - No SDI Output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 15th, 2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony EX1 - No SDI Output

Hi Everyone,

Recently purchased a used Sony EX1 (not R). Everything seems to work except for the SDI output. Nothing appears to look damaged or worn on the camera. I've read various places that SDI output could stop after a faulty firmware upgrade. It currently has v1.30 on it. I'd like to try reflashing the firmware to see if this corrects it.

I've been trying to find any firmware for it, however just finding lots of old links and utilities but no firmware. Could someone provide links as to where to find any versions of it?

Thanks
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2021, 07:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony EX1 - No SDI Output

Try the following for "Software: PMW-EX1 : Binary Package V1.30":

https://pro.sony/en_AL/support-resou...mpengb00000261

Just make sure you check the "I agree to the Terms and Conditions" check box on the following page where the download link will take you to. An update instructions PDF file is included

There is also a Lens firmware update if you are going to use a Libec lens servo demand.

https://pro.sony/en_AL/support-resou...mpengb00000317

Just follow the instructions to the letter and you should be good to go!

The Master EX1 page is here:

https://pro.sony/en_AL/support-resou...W-EX1/software

Chris Young
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 11:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if there is a way to force an upgrade? It senses it already has v1.30 on the camera and won't let me reflash.

Is it worth trying to reflash to a lower version (if that can be done) or is it rare that software can cause the Sdi output not to work. Is there any setting that could cause the Sdi not to work other than turning it off in the component SDI menu? Right now I am using an analog to SDI converter but I was hoping to use SDI

Thanks
Mark
Old May 17th, 2021, 01:30 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Mark, I don't think reloading the firmware is going to solve the problem. If you have already done a full reset of the camera and verified that the SDI output menu is turned on, then I'd say the SDI port is broken and will have to be repaired. It seems obvious, but I assume you have ruled out the BNC cable itself and any mismatched output settings between the camera and the monitor? Not all SDI signals are equal.
Old May 17th, 2021, 02:30 PM   #5
Inner Circle

On my JVC a similar thing happened and no idea how, but the HD-SDI was set to SD-SDI and switching it back sorted it? I'm sure you've tried it, but I nearly didn't because I knew it was not that, but it was.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 04:02 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick replies.

Yes unfortunately I've tried different cables and switching to SD-SDI. I had read on a few older forums that a firmware update caused someone to lose output over the SDI, so was hoping that would work, but it was a stretch for sure. It definitely looked like it worked previously as the SDI label next to the connector was partially rubbed away. I assume getting the SDI fixed would be cost prohibitive. Luckily I do have a BMD analog to SDI converter I was using for my HVR-Z1U that I can use on the EX1, but as they are over $200 each I was hoping to keep that for the Z1. For the price I paid I don't mind, however I do question the system run hours now as it only has 600hrs listed, but seems to have had a lot more use. Is there any way the system hours meter can be reset?

Also, it seems the focus and iris rings are unusually stiff to move manually. Is this a bad sign as well, or is there a way to fix this?

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:01 PM   #7
Equal Opportunity Offender

Sounds like a 'software bork' issue.

I would seriously recommend a master reset of the camera which is likely to be via the in-camera menu system. Don't forget to save/document any special colour profiles etc you have in the camera as all will be lost when you do this.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2021, 02:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Just found another issue that may be a result of firmware upgrade issues.

I attempted to playback clips in the camera, however after selecting the thumbnail it loads the clip and stays on a black frame and the camera freezes. I have to power off the camera to return to normal. It will play fine with Component/SDI output turned off. I started playing the clip with the output turned off then attempted to turn it back on during playback, however this also freezes the camera and displays an "E-15030" error. I've googled this and found an old creative cow post that says it maybe due to skipping too many firmware versions, or installing too high a version for the camera's hardware.

https://creativecow.net/forums/threa...back-problems/

I tried searching for older firmware than v1.30 but no luck. Does anyone have a source for older firmware? Can it even be downgraded or is that only possible through Sony? As I am at least getting component output I don't want to brick the camera, but if it is something that can be done without issue it maybe worth getting parts of it working again.
Many Thanks

Last edited by Mark Chafe; May 18th, 2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old May 18th, 2021, 05:55 PM   #9
Wrangler

Got my EX-1 in 2009 and it still has the original firmware, V1.11_0531. No idea if you can still get that or if it's even possible to downgrade. There's some discussion of firmware versions in this thread. After reading about all the possible pitfalls, I decided it would be a bad idea to attempt an upgrade myself. Mine still works fine and I didn't want to "fix something that ain't broke". :-)

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xd...ml#post1942208
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2021, 06:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Indeed.

I primarily got the EX1 to use as a main camera for our live church webcasts connected to a Blackmagic Decklink Duo. I was really disappointed to see that the SDI output didn't work as I now have to use an analog to SDI adapter. I was hoping to free that up for another camera, but not possible now. When I read some of the old creative cow posts I got excited that maybe it was due to the firmware. The locking up of the camera and the E-15030 error when trying to play clips was another sign so maybe downgrading is the solution, if not I'll just keep using analog. Once the component output craps out then I'll look at getting the SDI replaced if it is a hardware issue.
Old May 19th, 2021, 02:36 AM   #11
Equal Opportunity Offender

Why not give it a thorough rebuking with that master reset I spoke of?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 04:05 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Chafe View Post
I tried searching for older firmware than v1.30 but no luck. Does anyone have a source for older firmware? Can it even be downgraded or is that only possible through Sony? As I am at least getting component output I don't want to brick the camera, but if it is something that can be done without issue it maybe worth getting parts of it working again.
Many Thanks
I guess you have checked this but just in case you haven't please check the following. Make sure that in the "Menu settings i.LINK I/O" that the setting is "DISABLED". If the i.LINK I/O setting is enabled you will not get any output from the SDI port in either SD or HD.

This has caught a few people out in the past. Worth checking!

Chris Young
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2021, 08:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post

Andrew
Is that the same as the reset in the menu or something else?

Thanks
Old May 19th, 2021, 01:31 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post

Andrew
I think I found out what you're talking about. I removed the backup battery and gave it a go. I turned on the camera and it's asking to set the clock, but it still remembers my custom time zone it was set to, so I assume it's still remembering some settings. I'll give a bit longer and see if it changes.

Yup I've tried disabling the i.link i/o and enabling it, however no change.

The more I find out about the issues, I'm worried that it is an early version of the EX-1 and it was incorrectly updated to v1.30. I read that on some versions that boards had to be replaced or upgraded before firmware could be updated? Also, for so few hours (600 ish), most of the button labels are worn down. Was this an issue with the early EX1's? or does that happen anyway?

Thanks
Old May 19th, 2021, 04:02 PM   #15
Wrangler

Like I said, I bought mine in 2009 and it has low hours. No buttons show any wear at all. Worn buttons, no SDI output and various other problems make this camera sound pretty fishy. Hope you didn't pay too much for it! Can you get a refund?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds