Z280 and SXS-1 and SXS Pro Media advice. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 23rd, 2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Z280 and SXS-1 and SXS Pro Media advice.

Hi, I've just starting to use my Z280, it was never switch on until yesterday :)

I downloaded Dougs Master Class on the Z280/Z190 a good while back but looks like I'll have to stream it again to keep me up to speed.

Am I right in thinking I can use my SxS-1 and SXS Pro cards in the Z280 when formated in the camera?

Content Browser is playing up when I try to use it to copy the clips to my PC but Catalyst Browse seems to work better.

Content Browser has the option "CRC check after copy" that I liked, don't I know if Catalyst Browse has something similar.

I have two XQD adapters (QDA-EX1) and XQD cards BTW.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2022, 06:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Z280 and SXS-1 and SXS Pro Media advice.

Yes, you can but only with the lower bit-rate codecs. From memory, the SxS -1 would only handle the old 35-Mbit EX codec. They ran under exFat. SxS Pro was good for the 50-Mbit XDCam 422 codec using the UDF format.

Browser vs Catalyst Browse? Good question. I still like Browser because it rewraps files and they stay the same size. Catalyst Browse re-encodes and the file size changes. I prefer a rewrap as opposed to a transcode.

The following page should give you a bit of a pointer on the cards.

Chris Young

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/04/...ds-and-reader/
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2022, 09:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Thank you again Chris, for all the info.

I'm using the older Blue SXS Pro cards and the orange SXS-1 cards in my Z280.

As long as I can use them, even it is the lower code, Its still plenty sharp for my weddings. I just record them in HD anyway :)

I didnt know Browse re-encodes the files.

Thanks for the link too :)

I see from the link you sent Chris, it says..."The XQD/Adapter set-up is fully vetted and approved by Sony" That's good to know, its for this same reason I want to use my SXS cards in the Z280.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; February 24th, 2022 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add to post
Old February 24th, 2022, 08:14 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Rewrap? Transccode? Why do either one? Edit with the native file format and move on. This should not be an issue in 2022.

CRC check? Completely unnecessary. Cataylst Browse and Content Browser don't even need to be part of the normal workflow. Just use Finder to drag and drop the root folder from the SxS card to the HDD and/or SSD of your choice, import those files into your NLE, and then go to work.

Cataylst Browse is a great little utility that is important for my own workflow in other ways, but I don't use it for routine ingest.

Why make life harder than it needs to be? I can only assume you guys must be working under some kind of horrible workflow imposed by Windows . . . that is unknown in the Mac world :-)
Old February 24th, 2022, 08:30 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Not to nit pick, but the article incorrectly states the orange cards came first in the SxS lineage. Blue 8GB SxS PRO cards were the first cards. The orange cards (SxS-1) came later with lower specs and a lower price per GB. I think 32GB was the smallest orange card ever released. Believe me, if those 32GB cards had existed first they would have been far more popular than the 8GB cards . . . but they didn't exist until a year or two later.

Every version of SxS card (except the orange ones) are fully capable of handling any 4K or HD format, at any frame rate, that the Z280 can dish out. The orange cards are the only ones that have limitations. But even then, they can still be used for 4K LongGOP.

As far as the Z280 is concerned, the only differences between SxS PRO, SxS PRO+, and SxS PRO X cards is the speed of ingest. Onboard the camera, they are all the same.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; February 24th, 2022 at 09:07 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2022, 01:32 AM   #6
Trustee

Good to know!

Chris Young
Old February 25th, 2022, 03:41 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Doug, you said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
..Just use Finder to drag and drop the root folder from the SxS card
What is Finder?

Quote:
Every version of SxS card (except the orange ones) are fully capable of handling any 4K or HD format, at any frame rate, that the Z280 can dish out. The orange cards are the only ones that have limitations.
Am I save to use the orange cards to record HD in the Z280?

Just a bit confused by that last post regarding the orange SXS cards :)

Thank you too Doug.
Old February 25th, 2022, 03:58 AM   #8
Trustee

If the OP is on Widoz Doug no "Finder". Some of us don't use the other side :)

Chris Young
Old February 25th, 2022, 05:26 AM   #9
Trustee

LOL yes, I'm on Windows :)
Old February 25th, 2022, 06:26 AM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

Windows is a perfectly fine choice for editing video. As is my copy of Adobe Premiere CS6.

(down with software rental!)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2022, 07:04 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Windows is a perfectly fine choice for editing video. As is my copy of Adobe Premiere CS6.

Andrew
Aye, I've no problems with my editing software, GrassVally Edius X
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:56 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Thanks Doug, you said...

What is Finder?

Am I save to use the orange cards to record HD in the Z280?

Just a bit confused by that last post regarding the orange SXS cards :)

Thank you too Doug.
I believe Finder is basically the same thing as Windows Explorer on a PC.

Insert a card into reader, locate the icon for the card on your desktop, double click the card, and then just drag drop the XDROOT folder onto an external HDD or SSD to copy all the files. Do the same thing to at least one other drive so you always have two copies.

There are many other ways of doing ingest, but that is the simplest and most fool proof method. No other software or error checking is needed.
Old February 25th, 2022, 08:57 AM   #13
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
Andrew
'Good for you. But I don't see any need to turn this into a PC vs Windows debate.
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:02 AM   #14
Vortex Media

Here is a chart from my Z750 book that shows the results of actual testing I did with various cards. The Z280 results would be exactly the same, except the Z280 does not have the excellent XAVC-L200 codec. The Z750 is the only camera in the world to have that codec right now.

I hope this answers your questions. Oops, I just noticed one of the FAIL boxes isn't white. Gotta make a note to fix that in the next edition.
Attached Thumbnails
Z280 and SXS-1 and SXS Pro Media advice.-screen-shot-2022-02-25-9.47.25-am.png  
Old February 25th, 2022, 09:08 AM   #15
Equal Opportunity Offender

Quote:
'Good for you. But I don't see any need to turn this into a PC vs Windows debate.
Actually the joke was on me still sticking to Adobe Premiere CS6 after all these years. :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds