XDCam EX Zoom Ratio? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

more than likely the this cam will feature the same media management as its bigger XDCamHD brothers. (ie thumbnails, tagging, logging etc etc
Consideirng the codec, format and recording media itself, it will more than likely behave pretty much the same as XDCam Discs behave to the point of being accessable through proxy to your NLE etc etc
I dont see why it wouldnt behave this way... its a great workflow (XDCam) and its already been established for over 2-3 years now prolly longer but right now im tired)

In regard to the zoom ratio, to be hoenst, most woudl find a wide angle far more useful than tele reach

IN addition, an OIS would be imperitive ans sony would do well if they take a leaf out of canons book.
My biggest fear for this unit is the lens itself. eng fujinon, we have seen how the JVCHD101's offering has fared over the seasons and to be honest, its far from impressive. heres hoping that the XDCam EX doesnt inherit the HD101's lens downfalls...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:10 AM   #17
Major Player

The card (like P2) is a solid state device, so the chance of it failing (if handled with reasonable care and not subjected to abuse by extremely hot hand-tools) are fairly low - lower than the chance of having a catastrophic failure of a miniDV tape, and CONSIDERABLY lower than the chance of getting a dropout (I would imagine)

But as Vaughan says it's always good to have a Force Majeure clause in your contract whether you're recording onto Flash Media Cards or Cardboard Punch Cards...

Possibly a little off topic, but for reference, ours Force Majeure clause includes "equipment malfunction" and "defective media" as two things that we cannot be held responsible for.

[not intended as legal advice]
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM   #18
Regular Crew

It's the wide end that is more important to me. Has there been any info released on how wide the lens will go? I'd love to dump the wide adaptor too. As far as I'm aware, the HVX200 is the only camera in this price bracket with a reasonable wide end, so fingers crossed Sony will at least match it.
Mike Paterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:23 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi Mike...nice bumping into you here. We plan to cut back on wedding video work for the coming year to start a new IT business here in the Florida Keys. We plan to use the XDcamEX for that. Our Z1U doesn't see much wedding action, but our DVX100's have held up well in this harsh enviroment. They have gotten a bit heat sensitive when used in direct sun with over 95 temp and high humidity. The XDcamEX will be a winner with the Smooth Shooter especially with the new SM arm upgrade.
Talk soon...
Best,
Craig Hollenback, Conch Republic Broadcasting.com

Last edited by Craig Hollenback; July 4th, 2007 at 06:01 AM.
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #20
Major Player

You are probably right

Giving it some thought you are probably all correct in saying that solid state would be more reliable than tape.

It great to be here and thanks to all for such a great forum!

My cams get really hot... bieng jet black and in the direct sunlight. I sometiems try to shield the tape area with my hand but it's probably a drop in the bucket heat wise.

I just thought about it when someone mentioned about recording something.... now we will be able to get rid of that rediculous sound isolation thing that takes up the shoe if you use a good shotgun mic...

No tape motor hum :) just keeps getting better! Anyone want to speculate what kind of lifespan one should count one with these units?

I am going to start a new thread on that subject.

Mike
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #21
Major Player

xdcam dot com

In regard to the XDCAM EX -
Now due (in Australia at least) December.
The lens will definitely be Fujinon and likley to have the 35mm equivalent of a 30mm lens at the wide end.

MRW
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds