XDCam EX Zoom Ratio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCam EX Zoom Ratio?

I heard Sony's Bob Ott say in an interview on another forum that the new XDCam EX camcorder will only have a 14x zoom. I thought it would be at least 20x. That it not much more than the Z1 or FX1 for that matter. I am getting ready to purchase an FX1 and when this new XDCam EX comes out I may upgrade to it if a few changes and tweaks are made in the future. I can not see paying 7 or 8$k for that camera right now for what it "may" offer.
I am not just being critical about this new cam I just think it should have a longer zoom and the new SxS memory cards are going to be several hundred dollars a piece. The concept of recording to DV tape AND a hard drive makes more since to me. I do alot of wedding and event videography where I would probably need 5 or 6 cards at $500.00 per card? I dont think so.
My 2 cents worth.

Joel
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Brooks View Post
The concept of recording to DV tape AND a hard drive makes more since to me. I do alot of wedding and event videography where I would probably need 5 or 6 cards at $500.00 per card? I dont think so.
My 2 cents worth.

Joel
Recording to DV tape is not possible with the data rate of 35 Mbps. With the hot-swap capability of SxS cards, you could get by with 3 cards. When one is full after 40 minutes, swap this one with a spare one, copy the full one to a notebook and continue shooting. Repeat that for all day shoots. Copying a SxS card to disk may only take 20 minutes for a 16 GB card, while the recording time is 40 minutes. Also expect prices to drop rapidly for these cards.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Sony could easily have the zoom ratio to 20X but that’s if the imagers were smaller. So it’s comes down to this: 1/3” imagers with a 20X zoom ratio or ½ imagers with a 14X zoom ratio. I would really love a zoom ratio or 20X but having ½ imagers in a camcorder almost the size of the Z1u is a plus.

Besides being more reliable than tape, the other advantage of having memory cards is that you don’t get that motor noise from the tape mechanism when you’re recording something.

The PDW-U1 might be able to hook up the XDCAM HD to allow transfers from memory card to XDCAM discs without a computer and just incase it doesn’t, I’m sure Sony will develop another version of the PDW-U1 that has memory card slots. I and a few other posters are already begging for Sony to get this right.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

There's nothing wrong with a 14x zoom from 1/2-inch chips.

Bob Ott told me it was 60 minutes per 16GB card, not 40 minutes.

We went through a lot of these "unclear on the concept" threads when P2 first came out; no doubt we're going to re-hash the same territory all over again for SXS.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 02:51 AM   #5
Trustee

I have read:

Quote:
With a 16GB card recording at 25Mbps the recording time is 3.5 minutes per gig; that's 56 minutes of great HD footage on a single 16GB card. At High-Quality 35Mbps onto a 16GB card the recording time is 2.5 minutes per gig; that's 40 minutes of stunning HQ (high quality) HD footage. The new EX compact camcorder has two card slots, so you can double these times to 112 minutes at 25Mbps or 80 minutes at 35Mbps. When the 32GB cards become available the times will be 224 minutes or 160 minutes of glorious HQ HD footage.
I know the info is rather preliminary and subject to change, but the major advantage is that the cards are hot swappable.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
There's nothing wrong with a 14x zoom from 1/2-inch chips.
The imagers' size may be one reason for "reverting" from the 20x zoom on the V1 back to "only" 14x on the EX. The other reason might be that with interframe compression, anything above 14x looks pretty bad when there is even a slight thermal wave (convection) in the air (see discussion on artefacts in both the Canon A1 and Sony v1 when filming at full tele, with focus at infinity here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....&postcount=51).
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:06 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
The PDW-U1 might be able to hook up the XDCAM HD to allow transfers from memory card to XDCAM discs without a computer
Not likely Paulo. The U1 has only USB2 for an interface. I didn't see any such interface on the XDCAM EX when it was in my hands.

FWIW, myself and others lobbied for FW interface with the stand alone drive.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Major Player

Consider the fact that if it's only 14x then it could be a much wider lens than the FX1 and Z1. I would rather have a better wide angle lens on the camera than more zoom.
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor View Post
Consider the fact that if it's only 14x then it could be a much wider lens than the FX1 and Z1. I would rather have a better wide angle lens on the camera than more zoom.
For the type of work these small cameras often get used for, eg intimate documentaries, the wide end is more useful. Also, with large zoom ranges on these small camera, because of size restrains, you tend to get aperture ramping, the Z1 is horrendous in this regard.

A 20:1 zoom on a 1/2" camera would be quite large and could compromise the form factor. Although, personally, I think anything larger than a Z1 should be on your shoulder.

Sony will be regarding this camera a part of the range of their XDCAM products.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #10
Regular Crew

XDCam EX Zoom Ratio

I agree regarding the quality issue as for as 20x is concerned on the small chip cameras. I am not going to purchase a camcorder with 1/4 inch cmos chips. I rent Fx1 and Z1 cameras frequently and I am planning on purchasing one soon. The 14x zoom on the new sony XDcam EX camera is not bad and the wider end is more important. Century Optics just released a true 16x9 HDV 2x lens extender for the Fx1 and Z1 cameras that will not lose an f-stop. I will probably get one. I love the quality of the Z1 and FX1 cameras and I will probably step up to the XDCam EX at some point when the price drops after market saturation.

Joel Brooks
Moments in Time Video Productions
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #11
Major Player

Wider is better for me

I would give up more reach for a wider angle any day in my line (live event). To take the wide angle adapter out of my bag would be a major relief. I am looking forward to a more film like DOF and better low light with the bigger chips.

I really hope we get a nice wide lens on this cam.

Thanks in advance Sony!

Mike
1 HVR-Z1U
3 HVR-A1U
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:21 PM   #12
Major Player

14x 20x 100x it's all relative...

A decent wide-angle is far more important than zoom reach, and given that the further the zoom goes the more likely you are to see CA at each end... give me a shorter zoom and a larger imager any day!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:48 PM   #13
Major Player

I agree with Alex re: wide angle vs telephoto. Additionally, I do about 50 weddings a year with DVX100's. I do plan to purchase the XDcamEX asap but not for weddings. Frankly, I believe in providing the best quality that is practical for our brides but have yet to shoot a wedding that warrants being shot in XDcam or DigiBeta etc. I also do corporate and indies which is better suited for XDcam I believe. I really can't wait until the XDcamEX is available. The concept of finally no moving parts is very exciting.
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Major Player

Here Here!

Lets all toast to no moving parts!!

Hi my name is Mike and I am an upgrade addict.......

I will be using my EX to shoot weddings. We will shoot 10 weddings this weekend. Friday & Saturday. Since I'm the boss I get the coolest camera :)

The Z1 has already gone to the Sony service center. One of the A1's got sent today. Tape issues on both. Both units less than 100 hours operating. SO...

The only question I have is what happens when the card fails and what is the likelyhood of that? That is for another thread I know but.... I really look forward to getting one this fall anyhow. We'll keep the Z1's. Probably sell the A1's

Mike
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Major Player

"The only question I have is what happens when the card fails and what is the likelyhood of that?"

Just make sure your contract says "all care but no responsibility"!!!!LOL!!!!

It's going to be a bit scary for a while though, I agree!

Not knowing anything about solid state, lets hope it it show you thumbnails so you will know everthing is recording O.K.

Cheers Vaughan
Vaughan Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds