PMW F3k or NXCAM super 35mm? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: PMW F3k or NXCAM super 35mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
I have to say I find that odd. (And yes, disappointing.)

Like Glen, I think it odd that it wouldn't have HD-SDI when the (cheaper) NX5 does. Yes, you pay more for the sensor versus the 1/3" chips of the NX5, but why should that then lead to lesser features in other ways?

The ND aspect is even stranger. Assuming the same sensor, then unless it's treated in a completely different way it should have the same (extremely good) sensitivity of the F3. So, as it stands, without built-in ND it would be completely unable to record in normal daylight lighting settings out of the box!

OK, it could be got round, but it seems a lot of extra, unnecessary, expense for something fairly basic that is the norm on the vast majority of other camcorders, to say nothing of inconvienience. In many situations swinging a filter is vastly easier than physically changing filters in front of the lens.

No HD-SDI, no built-in ND.

NXCAM S35, the new DSLR.

/partial sarcasm off
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #17
Major Player

Did Sony's last large sensor camcorder have an built in ND filter? That little APSC camcorder released last year? (I forget the name) It had a very narrow barrel compared to the sensor just like the NXS35.
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Did Sony's last large sensor camcorder have an built in ND filter? That little APSC camcorder released last year? (I forget the name) It had a very narrow barrel compared to the sensor just like the NXS35.
You're referring to the NEX-VG10. No, it does not have a filter wheel.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #19
Major Player

That's interesting seeing how it might relate to Sony's thinking with the NXcam, so it just stops down in sunlight? I wonder if the user manual makes the suggestion to use external ND filters to preserve sharpness or control DOF?
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Space Hipster

If you use the VG10 in bright sunlight, yes, an ND filter would be very useful.
I have a VG10 and I need an ND filter. I can only imagine it being worse with an S35 sensor.
The bright side is, If I get the NXCAM S35, I already have one lens that fits.
Oh, and the new cam better have some kind of focus assist. The VG10 really needs this feature (it doesn't have it).
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Thanks for the input Glen. Something to think about. Can't wait until we know for sure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta