Pics of the F3 on a handheld rig - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:47 PM   #46
Telecam Films

Re: Pics of the F3 on a handheld rig

I couldn't agree more on current EVFs mounting hardware. One 1/4"-20 hole to attach a fairly bulky and exposed viewfinder is not enough. Zacuto's Zamerican arms are sturdy but too complexe and heavy. Someone needs to come out with a slimmer EVF design, with an eye piece that can be tilted up and down wiht one hand and that is solidly and elegantly attached to the camera. It looks like Kinotechnik's LCDVFe has taken this in condideration.

Kinotehnik - Overview

Thierry.

Last edited by Thierry Humeau; August 24th, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM   #47
Major Player

I made the plunge and got a SmallHD DP4-EVF a few weeks back. I'm using a NAGA style arm at the moment but I will be changing the mounting solution in a couple of weeks. Will post up once I get it sorted.

I am very much liking the EVF on the page you have linked to Thierry. It sure looks promising. Mitch from Abel Cine Tech made some overtures about an EVF with a different approach coming out hopefully in a month or two. He's saying we should watch for it but won't disclose any more.

I am very happy with the DP4-EVF. As a focusing tool it doesn't get better than anything else on the market in the sub $1000 range. Mounting is the big issue with all of them.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #48
Major Player

Ron,
I don't understand how do you attach the nano flash to the system. From the first picture it looks like it is attached to the battery, is that so?
Thank you for your input,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #49
Wrangler

Latest iteration of getting this camera right for handheld:

Element Technica baseplate.

Camera Accessory Solutions Spidergrips

Zacuto knuckles and odds and ends to mount EVF without Noga arm, so you can move it with one hand during shot.

Camera is balanced *almost* perfectly, without adding any weight to counterbalance.

Geez, and it only took 7 months and $3000!
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of the F3 on a handheld rig-img_08032.jpg  
Old October 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #50
Wrangler

Looks nice and clean Nate, but how could that setup be perfectly counterbalanced when most of the weight is fore of the ET shoulder mount...?

On my show we are running dual Dionic 90's with an AB whaletail and an MD-RDA off the rear rods from the ET baseplate and my guys report that it is pretty close to balanced but not perfect.

I'll get pix in at some point. The Aluras are looking quite dashing on the F3's.
Old October 15th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #51
Wrangler

I edited to say "*almost* perfect"

I think it's a comparison thing. Compared to what I had before, which was the shoulder pad on the ET all the way out back and using the camera LCD 3 inches in front of my nose, it's a huge step forward. :-)
Old October 16th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #52
Regular Crew

This is the most professional and better balanced rig I've seen for the F3, which also mounts RED and other cameras. It's the new "Movietube CR" from Kinomatik, made in germany. They also make similar rigs for DSLRs.

The Movietube CR is essentially a baseplate and shoulder mount with tripod quick release in a single piece, that allows the accomodation of 15" and 19" front rods, even both at the same time if required. On the back there are telescopic rods that allow to balance the batteries and everything else on the rear, to compensate for heavier front rigs.
The system includes a very robust side arm with a top handle which accomodates an EVF, ENG lights, TFT monitors and shotgun mounts, plus it also comes with a video+power distributor, with 12V, 5V, 9V and 7.2V outputs.

The hand grips are optional, you can use theirs or any other you might like better. Those here rotate in the 3 axis.

It's not cheap but it's very well engineered and built.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of the F3 on a handheld rig-kinomatik_movietubecr-f3.jpg   Pics of the F3 on a handheld rig-kinomatikmovietubecr-in2e.jpg  

Pics of the F3 on a handheld rig-kinomatikmovietubecr-f3.jpg  

Last edited by Henry Coll; October 16th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Henry Coll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Have you seen this?

SONY F3 Support - Movcam.com

It doesn't look so bad after all... even though it's made in China.

shoulder_pad_unit-303-0201-001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Henry Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #54
Regular Crew

I have the Kinomatik CR and found the entire top assembly...the handle and especially the VF mounting hardware...to be completely useless and removed it. The CR parts I do like: the riser/shoulder pad that clicks right onto a sony plate, the included dual 15/19 rods and the rear battery slider.

Overall, if I had it to do again, I'd pass on it...or order it without the VF assembly.
Old October 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #55
Wrangler

Both the Kinomatik and the Movecam look like they bring things up to 30lbs. Yikes, no thanks.

I promise I'm not trying to be a negative grump, but the Movcam in particular apes the Red side cages that most of the first 1000 buyers of the Red bought, and now nobody uses because they made the camera so bulky and heavy, plus the "problems" they solved could be solved in cheaper, lighter ways.

Those Red side cage parts now fetch zilch on the used market, nobody wants them. Cast aluminum boat anchors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta