HDMI Weirdness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HDMI Weirdness

Yesterday, I used an HDMI monitor with my F3 for the first time. Up until now, I've used my Panasonic field monitor, which has HD SDI. I put a Small HD HDMI monitor on the camera for the AC, and ran into some issues.

When I'd switch from playback to record, I'd lose the HDMI output. Then, I had to disconnect the HDMI cable, go into the menus, switch to HD SDI, then back to HDMI, then re-connect the cable. This happened every time.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Jim Tittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HDMI Weirdness

occasionally it does weird things.

It will also hiccup when going from 59.94 to 23.98 PSF while connected to a device. you need to switch from What ever out put youre on SDI/HDMI to the other, then back.
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, I guess this means more testing. I'm not crazy about HDMI, but I'm still going to need it once in awhile.
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Trustee

I had access to an F3 this afternoon and tested your problem. Didn't happen to me. I had an HDMI Lilliput and I could back and forth from playback to camera mode and the monitor functioned fine. I only did it a few times though - but no problem with anything.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I spent about an hour tonight playing with the camera and 3 monitors: Sony LMD-9050, Small HD DP1x, and Manhattan 8". The Sony is HD-SDI, and the other 2 are HDMI.

With the SmallHD DP1x, at first I was able to switch between live picture and thumbnail mode, but not back to live picture. When I tried, the monitor went black. In order to get a picture on the HDMI monitor again, I had to unplug it, switch to HD SDI output, switch back to HDMI output, and plug the monitor back in.

After doing this 4 or 5 times, I tried a longer HDMI cable (6' long). I was able to switch into thumbnail mode once. After that, I couldn't get thumbnail mode with an HDMI monitor, at all. Didn't matter what monitor or what cable I used.

I tried the HDMI mode with the Manhattan monitor next, and had the same problem. Was able to view live picture, but pressing the thumbnail button cut off the signal. Couldn't get it back until I turned the power off, switched to HD SDI mode, and then back to HDMI mode.

Through all of this, I periodically checked the HD SDI output. When in the right mode, live monitoring and playback worked fine.
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Trustee

When you checked the SDI out were you using the sdi monitor out on the right or the 2 top ones?

I found to get the top ones to work I had to switch the 3G SDI to 1.5 then I had 2 sdi monitor outs that always worked. The one on the right I had to go into the menus and for monitor out choose either HDMI or SDI but it was one or the other they wouldn't work at the same time.

Does that make any sense? - I don't have the cam in front of me so I might be describing the settings a little innaccurately. ( was it 3G?)
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

That's interesting. I tried the two top ones, but didn't get video, so I've been using the one on the right.
I'll try the two on the top.

Just curious--anyone know if different output configurations use significantly different amounts of power?
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Trustee

Jim, what's your firmware on that unit?
Wondering if its the same as the one I tested as I seem to recall some early upgrade that had something to do with SDI and HDMI ports. I'm not up on this though since don't own the camera yet - just wondering if it has anything to do with why mine worked and yours didn't.
The one I tested was a Sony loaner at my dealer. I called him and he said he saw these numbers Version 6.20_0004 and V1.00. Don't know what the 2 different versions refer to.

I couldn't get HDMI and the SDI monitor out (the one on the right) to work at the same time. Had to be changed in the menus. Are there more SDI outs than the 2 on top and the one on the right? (don't have one in front of me.)

Lenny
Old March 19th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'll look into this on Monday--taking the camera back to the dealer. It's been inconsistent. Sometimes I can switch from Picture to Playback, and sometimes I can't. I believe the firmware is 1.0, but I don't have the camera in front of me right now. I'll post details next week.

The reason I'm not being more aggressive about trouble-shooting this: I usually use HD SDI.
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #10
Wrangler

My HDMI seems to come and go as well, needing jogging and a swift kick here and there. My living room set is also slow to switch HDMI modes, so I'm thinking it's a "it takes two to tango" situation as well.

I chalk it up to firmware 1.0, overall.

Luckily it is not a deal breaker for me.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

An engineer at Sony responded to my questions about the HDMI output on the F3. Here's what I learned (my questions, his answers):

1) When switching from HD SDI to HD HDMI output, is it necessary to disconnect the HDMI cable? No, you should not have to do this.

2) What is an "iLink" cable? I thought this was Sony's term for Firewire. Does it also refer to HDMI? Firewire is the original Apples term, but it is the same.

3) When the video output is switched from SDI to HDMI with the cable connected, is it possible to damage the camera? No, not that I am aware of

4) Once the HDMI output has stopped working, (due to switching output without disconnecting cables), what procedure should be followed to get the HDMI output working again? HDMI needs to do handshaking with the device, and you may have to either turn the display device on and off or the camera.

5) Currently, is there a way for a user to get HD SDI output and HD HDMI output at the same time? Not at this time.

*** In my own experience, with my camera, it's necessary to disconnect the HDMI cable before switching from thumbnail to record mode. If I don't do this, the HDMI output quits. The only way to get it back again, with my camera, seems to involve turning the camera off and letting it sit for a long time (overnight). Has anyone else had this problem?
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #12
New Boot

i had the same issue on a shoot few weeks ago,
i think you can't use both HD-SDI and HDMI out while shooting 24 fps, in other frame rate it might work.
go figure...
this is why i'm waiting until NAB to decide what to get next
Guy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #13
New Boot

moved to another post

Last edited by Guy Jackson; March 24th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Guy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I have been getting to know my F3 and have noticed that when I first turn on the camera it won't output any video to the HDMI port. I have to go into the menu and switch to SDI then back to HDMI before the monitor gets a signal.

Hopefully a firmware update will fix it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta