What Focal Lengths For Interviews - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 24th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: What Focal Lengths For Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
Lets morph this thread some more: Nigel, Aaron and others - when do you find 8bit not enough from a nanoFlash/XDR?
I have to try really hard to produce any 8bit related artifacts, in camera, with the nano/XDR recorders. Under just the right circumstances you can probably force some banding with a high contrast scene and a perfectly graduated sky in the scene.

It's rare indeed to see any 8bit artifacts in footage I've shot. Of course, if you don't promote the footage in post, and keep it 8bit as you grade, it's fairly easy to introduce artifacts into footage being graded as 8bit footage. Of course I don't do that though.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Newsome View Post
I have to try really hard to produce any 8bit related artifacts, in camera, with the nano/XDR recorders. Under just the right circumstances you can probably force some banding with a high contrast scene and a perfectly graduated sky in the scene.

It's rare indeed to see any 8bit artifacts in footage I've shot. Of course, if you don't promote the footage in post, and keep it 8bit as you grade, it's fairly easy to introduce artifacts into footage being graded as 8bit footage. Of course I don't do that though.
Aaron,

I should have clarified that I was talking about pushing 8bit in post. So, do you convert to Pro Res or Cineform and do you find those converted files hold up better to heavy grading?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #48
Major Player

That's right Steve. When I record with XDR/nano, I edit the native files right on the FCP timeline. I send the sequence to Color and I set the output type as prores HQ with higher bit depth. So I'm not really transcoding the source files, only working in Color in a bigger depth and outputting higher quality files.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta