MTF Nikon Adapter with 70-200 F2.8 lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old March 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Telecam Films

MTF Nikon Adapter with 70-200 F2.8 lens?

Hello,

Has anyone tried to use a 70-200 F2.8 zoom lens (Nikor or Sigma) with MTF's Nikon adapter? Can the MTF adaptor support the weight of those lenses or do they need additional support?

Thanks.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: MTF Nikon Adapter with 70-200 F2.8 lens?

Most of the Nikon 80-200 versions have support collar ring (except the first AF version)... That tells you enough.
I would not use this type of lens with no support. Never did with still camera....
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Trustee

Its a pretty strong adapter and I have been testing my 80-200 without a support. It feels solid.
That said though I will use it with support on jobs. Why take a chance?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Vortex Media

I've used my 80-200 with literally dozens of Nikons over the past 10 years without any support whatsoever. The F3 can also handle this lens without any trouble. It fits nice and solid, and it is considerably lighter than my Cine-Xenar lenses that I also use without any support. The camera is very well-built.
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Its a pretty strong adapter and I have been testing my 80-200 without a support. It feels solid.
That said though I will use it with support on jobs. Why take a chance?
You can't really compare a F3 body to a DSLR body. The F3 has a much larger and longer base and a pretty biffy lens mount, so, I assume that it is a much more robust assemby. I am just trying to find an easy way to switch lenses with the F3 body mounted on a tripod and would rather avoid to have to resort to the 70-200 zoom's support brace if it is not necessary.

Thanks for pitching in.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I've been using a Redrock lens support for my longer lenses. It does not actually attach to the lens, it just supports it from below with an adjustable cradle. I also use it with my 300 2.8. Very fast to set up and it can usually be left on the rails when not in use.
Chuck Fishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
Vortex Media

If I had a 300 f/2.8 I'd use support, too. Nice lens.
Fortunately, my 300 f/4 is a fraction of that weight.
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The issue isn't whether the f3 can support the weight but whether the skinny little ring that is the nikon mount will take the weight without bending or sagging. In addition will the lens droop or flex from side to side during pans or if blown by the wind. I think any large lens on the nikon mount is likely to need a little support, especially a long focal lengths.
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #9
Vortex Media

None of those issues are a concern at all of mine with the MTF adapter and the following lenses I've test it it with:
17-35mm f/2.8
35-70mm f/2.8
80-200mm f/2.8
300mm f/4

I find the MTF adapter to be quite rigid, and I assure you that no amount of wind is going to affect the performance of the lens on the camera.
Old March 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Again, there is a reason why "some" still lenses have tripod collars... Let's not be smarter than lens designers...
I am not one, but right from the top, nobody mentioned lens side of the mount. Did anybody considered that a heavy lens can cause stress to both sides of lens mount. You can not compare big heavy cine lenses and "F3" mount with "tinny" Nikon F mount. Just one look at both and you can see the difference. Sure, with out the lens support most would be fine in control environment- on tripod and such. But, first time the stress is caused to the tip of the long lens (no matter if it is Nikon still or Sony video camera) the lens is coming off... Believe me, I have seen it a few times!
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #11
New Boot

Absolutely agree that you need the support, particularly if handheld. I shot crowd footage with the 70-200 and the rails support gave a great deal of peace of mind. If for no other reason than to avoid paranoia, I would use it.
David Soll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Hey, I'm not saying NOT to use support, I'm just saying that in my opinion (using my own lenses) it is totally unnecessary. If you feel it is better with it, go for it.
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Major Player

Thierry,
I use the AF Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Lens which is .36 lbs lighter than the 70-200. No problems with no support.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Telecam Films

Ok, guys. Thanks for the feedback.

T.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta