Matrix Matters from NAB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 9th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Major Player

Matrix Matters from NAB

ThIs is a pull from the SDI thread.

I'm on my way to Vegas this morning. Feels like my first tweet.
Anyway, since my day job as a DP/LD/Wrangler/Novice DIT, involves various cameras, my goal is to mix and match the tools we choose for that task.
My job at NAB is to help inform people of the ENG/EFP features of the PDW-800 and the PMW-F3. This includes mixing the above on the same set. I'll be at The Sony Booth, Camera set, standing between the F800 and the F3 with a Leader 5330. I'm very affable, so please stop by and feel free to add and share the knowledge.
As some already know I have utilized the PDW-800/Pro35/Ziess ultra/ super and EX1/3 with a Zeiss ZF/Letus combo for two years plus. So the F3 is a product long awaited.
When it comes to what looks right/good is part scientific, part subjective, and subject to industry standards. While I do not claim a level of 'Master Matrixer', I always strive to match my cameras as best I can, leaving enough room for basic CC in 709 REC, and or Log.
I have had many conversations with various industry folks who all come up with common and varied approaches to setting up a camera. And for that matter, each model may require different paths.

So it is my intent this week to fine tune my approach so that it has some universality to it, while still
availing me unique looks. I'll start a new thread on this so we can all share.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Matrix Matters from NAB

Eager to learn more details about the F3's matrix. See you in Vegas!
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Very interesting Denis. Good to hear Sony is trying to cater in part to the ENG market. A lot of us here are coming to the F3 from an ENG background and want to use the F3 some of the time developing more interesting ENG/EFP kind of material.

I am truly hoping Sony is going to let out of the bag that they have an ENG style EVF for the F3 already to ship and second they will be releasing a firmware update around the same time they release their F3 ready zoom lenses the ability to take the camera down to a 2/3" sensor if the operator so chooses. That would be a meaningful gesture to the ENG crowd from Sony in terms of delivering a camera that can be used in that environment.

Last edited by Andrew Stone; April 9th, 2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: clarificaiton
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Vortex Media

I will also be working alongside Dennis in the Sony booth, and look forward to meeting anyone who has time to stop by and say hello. In addition, I'll be doing 2-hour presentations on the F3 & FS100 from 10:00 to Noon on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday in a classroom off the show floor. If you're not sure what the differences are between those two cameras, please join us. Even if the class says it is full, come anyway and we'll try to accommodate everyone.

Sony | Broadcast and Business Solutions

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta