mosquito noise mesh issue discovered .. and solved at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 9th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #1
Trustee

mosquito noise mesh issue discovered .. and solved

Have you guys seen this :

Saw this on Negativespaces.com. Hope this is rare.

http://www.negativespaces.com/blog/2...ny-pmw-f3.html

"On several different camera bodies I've worked with, when outputting 23.98 psf over both SDI and HDMI, I've noticed a very fine fixed pattern noise over the entire image. It looks like a very faint mesh of black crisscrossing lines. When you do an external recording, it's 100% WYSIWYG so if you're seeing this problem on the monitor, you are definitely going to find it in your files. I've encountered some cameras that don't have this problem at all but others that do. Big problem. I've found that going into the Video Out settings on the camera and turning on 2-3 Pulldown instead of PsF will reduce the problem but it's still there. "

Update on Saturday, April 9, 2011 at 03:10AM by Ben Cain

I heard from the technicians at Chater Camera that there is an easy fix to this problem -
"We found a serious issue for anyone recording the HDSDI output to a KiPro or any other external recorder. Something that many people will do with this camera. You have to be sure to turn OFF the HDSDI Character Display in the camera menus. This seems logical except you can also leave this menu ON and use the external Character Display On/Off button on the camera body to remove the display characters. However if you do that there is a very fine ( almost imperceptible ) mosquito noise mesh pattern across the whole image that would ruin your footage. When we say hard to see... we mean it. We only noticed it because we were fine checking lens calibration at 2x magnification. Confirmed on two cameras."
Great to know that until Sony fixes this, there is a workaround. Talk about something that could ruin your day. I've said it before - I think Sony rushed this camera out.

Thanks to Jay and all the guys at Chater for figuring this one out and saving our asses. That should be worth a drink at NAB

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: mosquito noise mesh issue discovered .. and solved

Leonard, as far as I recall, the hd SDI character display is off by default. The only reason you'd have to turn it off, is if you've turned it on for some reason, right?
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta