'Hot White' Pixels F3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old November 10th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

'Hot White' Pixels F3

Whilst experimenting with the Sound Devices Pix 240, I had the F3 plugged into the television via HDMI and was shocked to find what is known as a 'hot pixel' on recent recordings over the past month. I never would've noticed it so much if not for displaying it on a big screen. It was a distinct, pulsating white and it only became worse when raising the gain against black objects.

Anyway, this followed by lots of tedious testing to make sure it was possibly nothing else than the sensor. I did get rid of it, but not until I'd run the Auto Black Balance seven or eight times. I've had lots of niggling issues with the camera and didn't need another one.

I'm interested to know if anyone has had issues with hot pixels (white or any other color.)

By the way, this problem wasn't present when switching the camera's functions to S-Log. Go figure!
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: 'Hot White' Pixels F3

Mine had a hot pixel that you could see in some video modes (60i vs 24p) but not others. I ran the black balance 3 times in a row as indicated by Sony but that didn't solve the problem. Had to go into the service menu and run a stronger correction and that solved it. I've not noticed any in the last few months.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Major Player

I did too while filming "The Awakened". I ran the black balance 3-4 times and it went away.
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
New Boot

All CCD and CMOS sensors can develop 'hot' or dead pixels. That why high end camera manufactures have correction programmes built into the camera. It only becomes a problem if you develop too many hot pixels as there is a limited number that can be corrected.
Tony Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
Mine had a hot pixel that you could see in some video modes (60i vs 24p) but not others. I ran the black balance 3 times in a row as indicated by Sony but that didn't solve the problem. Had to go into the service menu and run a stronger correction and that solved it. I've not noticed any in the last few months.
Chris, what is a stronger correction? Be nice to know, in case it happens again.
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you run across a problem let me know and I'll help you out.

I've been asked by Sony and Chris H. to not publish the service menu info on the forum.

Basically you go into the service menu and run the Maintenance Black Balance and if that doesn't work you can go in an manually mask the pixel.
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, I would like to know (with discretion) the service menu. I spent a couple of wasted hours solving one problem last night. Would like strategies for solving like-problems (i.e.) 'service menu.' Please email details to: pjohnson44 @ aapt . net . au

Interestingly enough, the instruction manual of the PMW-500 offers an explanation for the 'phenomena' of white flecks (P. 184) and provides a remedy. However in the PMW-F3 manual, the wording is almost identical (P. 134), and it stops short of offering a solution. So I would really appreciate instructions for accessing the service menu. On other PMW cameras for example, it's (menu+select+cancel) at the same time.

Last edited by Peter G. Johnson; November 11th, 2011 at 04:16 AM.
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta