Help with an F3 + PIX 240 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with an F3 + PIX 240

I'm wondering if anyone else with an F3 and PIX 240 can try a little test for me?

I'm wanting to record HD-SDI ProRes 422 with embedded audio and timecode using the Sony SDI record trigger to start and stop the PIX. On my unit, everything appears to work correctly until you import the footage into any edit suite.

It would be good if anyone else notices anything strange about the saved timecode on some clips as Sound Devices are saying they've never seen this problem before? What's even more weird is that if you plug the drive/card back into the PIX all the timecodes are correct again!!!!

Great to hear if anyone sees what I see - thank you.
Paul Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Help with an F3 + PIX 240

I have a Pix 240 and haven't had that problem with the timecode. Very recently there was another firmware update 1.04, however I think it only applies to those using Avid.

PIX Firmware Download | Sound Devices, LLC
Peter G. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Peter.

I am using firmware 1.04 on the PIX and 1.2 on the F3 while recording ProRes 422 at 1080i50. When I load the footage into FCP or PremierPro 5.5 a random number of clips will have totally the wrong timecode. It could be just a couple of clips in the middle (or nearly all of them) but whatever readings I get will be the exactly same in both FCP and PP5.5. Put the drive back into the PIX and everything reads as it should. It's as if the PIX is reading/writing timecode differently to the edit programs?

Here's a list of 6 x 20 second clips imported into PP5.5 recorded concurrently starting from 01:00:00:00 - Just the 2nd, 3rd and last ones are correct !!! - Weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with an F3 + PIX 240-timecodeerrors-copy.jpg  
Old December 9th, 2011, 05:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Good news.... Sound Devices have now said they can re-create this error which now means a firmware fix should be coming soon.... ? Hopefully, then I'll be able to use my unit for something other than testing!!!
Old December 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Firmware 1.05 now out which hopefully addresses issue...
Paul Ream is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta