Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions

I am investigating the Hyperdeck Shuttle for my Sony F3 but have some questions I did not find answers for on the internet

Will this recorder work in the 720p60 overcrank mode ?
Has anyone experience on the work flow on windows adobe premiere pro cs6 ?will the 10bit uncompressed mov work fully with cs6 bundle?
Thanks Rudy
Rudy Wilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony F3 with hyperdeck shuttle questions

Will not work in overcrank mode. Basically it records whatever signal the camera puts out via SDI or HDMI. The simple answer is the over/undercrank does not pass through camera. The Nanoflash does under and overcranking because it is implemented through the recorder itself rather than via camera signal.

I haven't tried the uncompressed .mov in PPro but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. And just be aware of the massive amounts of data generated by uncompressed video. Do you really need uncompressed?
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Major Player

You can send out a 720p50/720p60 signal through the 'monitor' port, I don't know if you can set the Hyperdeck to record that format though. It's how I get 10-bit 50p footage on my PIX240.

You'll need to record in 60p though and conform your footage back to 23.98p on the computer
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You can certainly send 10bit 60p 720 to the hyperdeck, if its configured matching what Mark said. I do it all the time.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #5
Major Player

Right. You can do it that way. But it is not like recording under/over directly to the cards.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks all for the responses @Ned it is not that I need uncompressed but since I am working on windows 7 with adobe premiere pro 64 bit workflow and the nanoflash looks really good as well only if I have to use recorder I prefer to get the 10bit.
I have read somewhere that the ProRes and the DNxHD won't work on 64bit and will not support the Cuda I have no idea if that is true.Do you know if they work on 64bit cs6 ?
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Trustee

I was just testing the hyperdeck shuttle 2 on the F3 with CS6 this week, I can open all three formats from the deck except DNxHD MXF (you need Avid for that).

So these opened for me in Windows 7 64-bit no problem:
- Uncompressed QuickTime
- DNxHD QuickTime
- ProRes QuickTime

By the way in my brief test I also shot straight to SXS and there is not a lot of difference when recording and comparing standard un-graded images... but I do plan to continue tests that involve more complex subjects including extensive gradients, extensive detail, as well as exposure lattitude in post.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Trustee

I am using Cuda, it is enabled when I create a new project and so far I have not received any system messages advising it can not be used, etc...

Cheers,
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Wilms View Post
Thanks all for the responses @Ned it is not that I need uncompressed but since I am working on windows 7 with adobe premiere pro 64 bit workflow and the nanoflash looks really good as well only if I have to use recorder I prefer to get the 10bit.
I have read somewhere that the ProRes and the DNxHD won't work on 64bit and will not support the Cuda I have no idea if that is true.Do you know if they work on 64bit cs6 ?
Download the codec package and see if it works. It should work fine. DNxHD requires much less processing horsepower to render to the monitor so the power of CUDA won't likely be needed for display. It is true that CUDA will not be utilized when transcoding RAW footage to DNxHD. Obviously taking DNxHD from the recorder prevents any need for transcoding. Just import and go.

Avid Codecs 2.3.7 Download
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Trustee

By default under a clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit CS6 and quicktime Adobe CS6 suite will open the Uncompressed QuickTime and ProRes QuickTime files.

But as Chris pointed out and as I found out this week in my testing you can only open the DNX QuickTime files in CS6 if you download and install the additional codec/drivers.

As far as I know you will never be able to open native DNxHD MXF files in anything other than Avid.
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Major Player

thanks a lot I will give it a try
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #12
Trustee

Also if you're looking for deck power solutions, this ebay seller has power cables that fits the jack of the deck properly and terminates to a d-tap plug. Then all you need is a plate to power your camera that also gives you a d-tap terminal and you can power your deck and F3 with an external battery.

D-Tap DC Cable fr DSLR Rig Power Supply LED light V-mount Anton Bauer Battery | eBay
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #13
Major Player

Dennis I have the EX-L96 - Switronix battery. Do you think this will work to power the F3 and the hyperdeck shuttle?
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Inner Circle

I use the same battery to power the F3 and a PIX240. The PIX is pretty power hungry. I expect it to work fine with the hyperdeck.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Trustee

The F3 draws 18 - 24 watts and I can't find the specs on the BM Deck, but I know that SSD drives draw anywhere from 2 - 6 watts so you can bet overall to draw anywhere from 20 - 30 watts total on your F3 rig providing you're not powering additional devices, etc..

Since a EX-L96 is rated at 96Wh you can divide that number by the total number of watts you are drawing and it will give you an approximate time in hours you can run it before discharge. (So approximately 3 hours in your case).

The Hyperdeck also has a built-in battery that will last an hour so if you chose not to hook it up to your Swit until needed you can squeeze even more time out of your power back and maybe get up to 2-3 hours. And while you'[re on stand-by mode and not recording your times will only increase even more.

Post some pictures of your rig or footage once you get it up and running.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta