Sony FS-7 - 4 Channels of Audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony FS-7 - 4 Channels of Audio?

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to record 3 or 4 discrete channels of audio to the new FS7? The configuration I'm interested in is:

1: Camera-mounted Shotgun
2: wireless channel 1
3: wireless channel 3
4: ?

On my old Panasonic Varicam HPX2700 it was possible to have a dual channel slot wireless receiver taking two discrete channels, plus a shotgun up front and 1 additional channel through the rear. Really an amazing audio setup for intimate docu work.

I see on the FS7 that there are two XLR inputs, but ALSO a hot shoe on top that can take one of Sony's proprietary wireless systems. If this could be put onto a discrete third channel that would be amazing.

Anyway, if anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful. And if this is the wrong forum - my apologies!

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Sony FS-7 - 4 Channels of Audio?

No, I don't think it's possible.
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply Alister - too bad! I wish more manufacturers, especially of cameras aimed at the documentary market, would take this into consideration as it can make a huge difference in the field.

Peter
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #4
Austinite

Clips pop up in premiere with 8 tracks of audio... I wasn't recording audio so there was nothing on any of them...
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Phil -- sounds just like the F55 which also displays 8 channels of audio. I just wonder if it can actually record 4 discrete channels. It really would be amazing if it could, especially for documentary purposes.

Peter
Old December 14th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Trustee

That's the most frustrating - when the camera is recording multiple channels of audio, the camera has multiple audio inputs... but the lines between the two aren't drawn. I agree it'd be a huge get if they could make this happen.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Peter, my experience with the F55, F800, PMW300 and I think the audio is the same for the FS7 is you can get two discrete channels. Yes, it will show 8 channels but it is not really 8 channels from my experience.

I use four wireless transmitters often with two dual receivers trying to get four channels with one talent on each channel. Each receive is plugged into one of the XLR on the camera sending two channels. What happens is one receiver ends up as channel 1&3 and the other 2&4.

I would be happy to hear if there is a better solution, without additional audio gear?
Old December 19th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Trustee

I had asked Juan Martinez of Sony at the recent Javits center show this question and he said the camera only had controls for 2 channels. He implied it was a marketing/design decision. If you want 4 channels of Audio you from Sony then you are looking at the F5/F55. Seemed a bit arbitrary but what can you do.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5