Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old March 15th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

Bruce,
This probably isn't the answer, but I'll mention it just in case:
Some monitors will display 30 fps video just fine, but can't display 24 fps video, unless 3:2 pulldown frames have been inserted. Maybe when putting your camcorder in some mode, it might output 24 fps without the 3:2 pulldown?
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #17
Trustee

Ken,
I'm pretty sure that I've had it in the same frame rate as when it did work...24p. And my fs100 is also in 24 and plays fine, so it's something else.
Thanks for trying.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #18
Trustee

I did some further testing , and went into the out put format. Here are my results:
1-The Fs7 is displayed on the older zacuto EVF both in 1920x1080 and 1920x1080i (2-3pd, whatever that means).
2-0n my sony 42" , model KDL 46s200, it only plays through in 1080i. Thr strange thing is that I'm almost positive that it played through before in 1080p. But I'll do a google check on the model.
3- Still nothing on the HP V242h monitor. I was told at Tiger Direct that it was 1080p, but I'll check further.

Another thing is that I don't remember going into that menu (output format) before...
Bruce Yarock
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce S. Yarock View Post
. . . 1-The Fs7 is displayed on the older zacuto EVF both in 1920x1080 and 1920x1080i (2-3pd, whatever that means). . .
"2-3pd" means "2:3 pull-down", which is really the same as "3:2 pull-down".
With some camcorders, you can switch pull-down insertion on or off, while all the time staying in 24 fps.

EDIT: Look at "Video Formats and Output Signals" on pages 94 thru 96 of your camcorder's Operating Instructions. You will see that some SDI settings will disable the HDMI output.
It looks like any "PsF" setting will disable HDMI output.
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #20
Trustee

Ken,
Thanks for the info...I'll check that out.
I went to Tiger a Direct today and tried the camera through several inexpensive, but 1080p monitors, and the fs7 wouldn't play through any. Then I hooked it up to a Samsung 4 k monitor, and it played fine, both in 1920 and 4k.
Bruce Yarock
Old March 24th, 2015, 09:03 PM   #21
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Mills View Post
Just logging in to endorse this product: oh wow, you HAVE to get this if you are new the the Sony FS7!

I bought Doug's video for the EX3 six years ago when I switched to that camera, and it was a huge help.

So when I just got my new FS7, I wondered if he had made a video for this camera, and he had!

At first sight, the $85 price tag seemed a bit steep since the EX3 video was cheaper, but after getting it and streaming it, I can say it is worth every penny!

There are several small idiosyncracies with this camera I never would have found on my own (or after much frustration), like the fact that you can't use an MLUT on monitor out if using Lens Correction (only ONE example of what I am talking about).

I love it. Doug's a rock star. Five out of five stars!

I agree! I purchased Doug's course in anticipation of buying an FS7 and it was the best 85 bucks I ever spent. I'm out on a still shooting assignment but I brought my new FS7 with me to go through Doug's seminar with the camera in my hands. Because I have already gone through his master class twice, prior to buying the Sony, going through it now, with the camera, is much more intuitive.

Thanks Doug! Your course is excellently executed and worth multiples of the fee you have set.
Old March 26th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #22
Vortex Media

Hi James, thanks for the feedback!
It is great to hear you comments and I couldn't have written a better testimonial if I had tried. I really thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Doug
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:32 AM   #23
Major Player

Hey how about us poor people that can not afford a $15000 camera, I have purchased a few videos from you, kinda was hoping you would be doing one on the X70 / X160 / X180 as there are so many new settings from the older EX range, or maybe do a short update video on all the new paint setting in these cameras.
Regards Robert.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Vortex Media

Hi Robert,

I really appreciate the suggestions, but I have limited time that I can devote to these training materials so I have to pick and choose which cameras very carefully based on a number of factors. For example, the FS7 book and video took over 500 man-hours to research, test, write, shoot, edit, layout, etc. That's 12 weeks of full-time work just for one camera. Not to mention the costs of buying the cameras and any additional accessories that might be needed. And then when I'm done, Sony won't help promote it, so I'm pretty much taking a big risk all on my own.

I don't know very much about the X70, but I did have an X180 that Sony loaned me for awhile and I felt that it was just too similar to the PMW-200 video I already produced. Yes, there are differences, but not nearly enough to justify investing the time and effort it would require into producing a whole new video or book. At this time, there aren't any new cameras on my radar at all.

If you want my unsolicited advice, buy an FS7. It's only $8K and you can use any SLR lens you can want. Add a couple of memory cards and you are ready to roll right out of the box with no extra accessories needed. It's a hell of a deal and the investment will pay for itself quickly. There is no camera that even comes close to matching the value of the FS7.
Old March 26th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #25
Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Hi James, thanks for the feedback!
It is great to hear you comments and I couldn't have written a better testimonial if I had tried. I really thank you for taking the time to let me know.

Doug
Dear Doug,

You are most welcome, well deserved! Feel free to use it anywhere that it might benefit your marketing. I don't think I mentioned it to you in our conversations, but I got one of the first X180 cameras shipped out (not always a good idea) in October of last year. The 180 functioned normally for about an hour, then performed as if it was possessed, turning off by itself, refusing to turn off without removing the battery, not recording, giving me warnings that made no sense, like media full with newly formatted memory cards. I shipped it back and decided to continue my search for the "perfect" camera, and as you have said, this one is pretty perfect. Interestingly, I bought an X70 to play with in the interim. I've found it to be a great little camera, obviously not within a country mile of the FS7, but for a couple of grand it is a very capable camera, takes some technique and understanding to keep from blowing highlights in certain situations, but worth the money.

JW

Last edited by James R. Wilson Sr.; March 26th, 2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: punctuation
James R. Wilson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 12:04 PM   #26
Vortex Media

It's good to hear the X70 is working well for you. One thing I like about Sony is that there is a camera for every purpose and budget. I think I failed to mention that I loved the X180 and was very tempted to buy one. It certainly blows away my old EX1, but I don't have the need for a camera like that very often, so I'll keep my money in my pocket for now.

Over the Christmas break I needed to shoot some test footage ith my FS7 and one of my teenage daughters (senior in high school) said she wanted to come and shoot too. So I gave her about a 30 minute training session on the X180 and turned her loose with it. And then I gave her about 30 minutes of training in FCP7 and she edited a couple highlight reels. I think it’s not too bad for someone that never shot with a pro camera before, and nothing set to auto. Young people catch on so fast, don’t they?

https://vimeo.com/user35998281
Old April 8th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #27
Photographer

Hey Doug,

I have been spending an hour or so each night with the FS7 and your Master Class, it's been great. I still feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose, but I think I have reached that point where I need to head out and get some real world time with it, then go back to the master class. I became familiar with this scenario in aviation, you can overload yourself with book knowledge to the point of confusion, but a little time in the cockpit brings it all into focus (as it were:).

So pleased with everything about the FS7..........................except, what was Sony thinking when they made the decision to substitute a McDonald's large drink lid for a lens cap? Really, did the marketing department take the day off when that idea was floated? They create a sensational system, I spend 15 grand right out of the gate, and I keep wanting to poke a straw through my "lens cap".
Old April 9th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #28
Vortex Media

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the nice comments about the video, and I know exactly when you mean about needing to get out and put the information into action so that it can sink in. I have to do the same thing.

Doug
Old April 16th, 2015, 08:26 AM   #29
Photographer

Good Morning Doug,

Just received the Metabones e mount adapter. Are there some issues with that unit, or are the concerns all from early units? I'd like to build an inventory of lenses, other than my Canon glass, for the FS/7, is the 16-35 OSS Zeiss unit for Sony a good choice?

Thanks!

JW
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #30
Vortex Media

Hi Jim,

I can tell you just about anything you want to know about the FS7, but when it comes to lenses and adapters I try to limit my opinions to things I have actually used myself. And I have no experience with anything from Metabones or the Zeiss lens you mentioned. There is a time, place, and budget for almost any lens, but with that said, I personally would find a 16-35mm lens to be extremely limiting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5