Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old November 27th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #61
Photographer

Re: Doug Jensen's Sony PXW-FS7 Master Class

Thanks for the clarification Doug! That is exactly what I gleaned from your online course and your Field Guide.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on the FS/5 after much research. Do you think the reduced frame rate of the 5 will be a drawback with the subjects I shoot? I'm thinking that just having the FS/5 by my side and set to S&Q Motion would be worth the investment. Shooting 4K and switching to an S&Q friendly codec on the FS/7 seems pretty disruptive, if you had the FS/5 set and handy, it would make capturing slo-mo simpler.
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #62
Vortex Media

I think the FS5 is a very nice camera but it's no substitute for an FS7. The FS5 simply lacks an awful of of features, codecs, functions, and menu options of the FS7. If size, weight, or cost are a consideration, the the FS5 might make sense, but other than that, I can't really see a good reason for a pro to choose an FS5 over and FS7. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the FS5, I'm just saying it lacks a lot of stuff. Different cameras to suit different needs.
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the answer. I've only just read this now. I'm still a little confused, because when I set the gamma to s-log3 in custom mode (your universal-1 profile) , the image flattens out and needs correction. I put it in FCPX and use LUTS and the change is dramatic and awesome and there is a lot of control. But I do wonder if I'm taking full advantage of the DR and/or missing out on picture quality because I'm not putting it in Resolve (which I don't use and don't really want to learn as I'm already as busy as all get out). Sounds like I have to shoot Custom mode given that.
Peter Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #64
Vortex Media

Peter, are you using ALL of my settings for Universal-1 or just the gamma mode? If you are using all the settings incorporated into my scene file the image should look 80-90% of the way finished right out of the camera and no LUT or fancy grading in Resolve should be needed. However it will certainly need some image manipulation in post to push it over the top, but those simple adjustments can be done in an NLE. Just to be clear, Universal-1 is not meant to be a WYSIWYG scene file where grading can be totally avoided -- it just lightens the load a lot. My philosophy is that unless you are shooting CINE EI or RAW as much of the video processing as possible should be done on-board the camera before any compression or image degradation has been applied. The camera is processing at 16-bit internally before it spits the video out and you can't get that pristine signal later in post.

On the other hand, if you are using S-LOG3 and not using the other paint menu settings of Universal-1, then the picture will look pretty drab and will require more work in post. Applying a LUT would be a good head start -- and I'd rather use Resolve for that. But if you are happy with the results you are getting in FCPX, why change?

Last edited by Doug Jensen; December 17th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug. I use your Universal-1 setting in its entirety. And now that you mention it, a few simple adjustments to the contrast and saturation make it pleasing to the eye. But my editor and I seem to get better results when we whap on a LUT and go from there. But it's not perfect and there are LUTs we have that are designed for S-log-3 that don't even come close to looking right, which has confused me. But less so now. I think I will do a test CineEI and your universal-1 on the same shot/lighting conditions and apply those same LUTS to see what looks better.

I agree with you. I'm happy with the results we get with your profile and FCPX / LUTs we purchased, so I see no need to go to Resolve. Thanks again for taking the time to answer.
Peter Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #66
New Boot

Hi Doug
My question is, are you upgrading your PXW-FS7 Master Class for firmware 3.0
It would be interesting to know
Regards
Tommy S
Tommy Simonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:36 AM   #67
Vortex Media

Hi Tommy,

The honest answer is that I don't know yet. I'm just finishing up my FS5 training video that I've been working on since November and I haven't even looked at the new firmware for the FS7 or F55. I'll be working on another project during February so it will be March before I can even consider it.

Thanks for asking,
Doug
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Hi Doug,

Sorry to ask on this thread but when will your FS5 Training Video & Book be ready on you website?

Thank you.
Henry Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #69
Vortex Media

Hi Harry,

The video will be available weekend if all goes well. Uploading the 20 chapters right now.
Not sure if there will be a book or not, but if there is, it is at least a couple of months away.

Doug
Old January 30th, 2016, 10:25 AM   #70
Major Player

Doug,

I watched your FS7 training videos before deciding to buy the camera. I was shopping for a new camera with 4K and HFR capability. I thought it was going to be BMD's Mini Ursa. The FS7 just looked like too much camera for me. The Mini hit a snag and meanwhile I gained enough confidence from the videos and went ahead and ordered the camera back in August. I have the book also for reference as I get more into the more complicated functions. This week I went to a speedway and shot about 4 hours at the drifting track. All 180fps, so no auto anything. With peeking, I think I did pretty good riding both the focus ring and zoom ring. It's a very nice camera and I've made the plunge to try external raw recording to the Odyssey 7Q+. Hopefully by the time I move back to the U.S. I'll be ready to take on some actual paid work. Anyways, thanks for producing such a comprehensive video presentation.

Mark
"Video Enthusiast"
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #71
Vortex Media

Hey Mark,

That's cool to hear that the camera is working out and that you're happy with it. I like hearing feedback like that! I'm honored to have been given the chance to give you a push in the right direction and flatten that learning curve.

The drifting track sounds cool I'd go shoot it with you if I was there!

Doug
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #72
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Epstein View Post
Hi Doug,

Sorry to ask on this thread but when will your FS5 Training Video & Book be ready on you website?

Thank you.
I am happy to say that my FS5 master class is up and running now.

6 hours
20 chapters
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fs5

You can watch the entire first chapter (56 minutes) for free.
Old January 30th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Doug, Great work on the Sony FS5 Masterclass. I have already learned a lot after watching just the first two chapters. I hope you will publish a Field Guide for the FS5 as well. I'm curious, do you use your F5 to film the class? The IQ is amazing.
Old January 31st, 2016, 08:04 AM   #74
Vortex Media

Hi Michael,

I'm pleased to hear you are liking the video. I'm not currently working on an FS5 book and nothing is planned at this time, but it is too early to rule it out entirely.

All of the example shots, opening montage, b-roll, and demonstration footage was shot with the FS5. But I only have one FS5, so when you're watching my video and you see the FS5 in the shot, then that video would have been shot with my F55.

Doug
Old January 31st, 2016, 11:01 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Yes. I agree about Jensen's camera classes. We learned SO MUCH from the course when we first got the FS7 and the field guide is always in the camera bag. His writing style and chapter sequence is broken down in a logical form that makes it easy to follow and refer back to a specific topic it needed.

Also with this new FS5 course. In the same way as his other training, he talks "camera man to camera man". I've only been though 6 chapters am happy with it already. The menus and options < and lacking of options > are SO different than the FS7.

I also like how the training takes advantage of technology by making it a streaming course. Simple to connect and watch from anywhere. < with cell data or wifi of course >
Hats off to Jensen again for putting so much content and time into this.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5