Sony FS7 V3.0 Firmware Released - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 17th, 2016, 07:19 AM   #16
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: Sony FS7 V3.0 Firmware Released

Call Sony and ask.

The reason I don't know is because I did the updates as they came out. I thought the manual or FW release docs would tell you if it is necessary to do FW updates in sequence.

Most FW for the electronics I own, can just load the latest skipping earlier versions. But I would not give advice that risks a bricking event of some ones camera.

And you should always be careful taking advice from a non manufacturer opinion on something that important. What if someone here says it is OK and then you brick the cam?

If you can't find the info officially from Sony. Then contact a Sony Service Center, or find out from the dealer.
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #17
Inner Circle

OK, thanks guys for the sound advise. Since I don't particularly trust the technical knowledge of the particular local dealer, I'll probably just call he Sony service, as Olof implies.

Piotr
Old February 18th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #18
Inner Circle

OK - so as I supposed, the FS7K camera I can get here is made in 2015, so I will have to do a couple of fw levels update. And - like I thought - the dealer is unable to answer my questions about whether the latest one - v.3.00 - is a cumulative upgrade or not.

But could anyone here at least assure no hardware changes have been made between the early models, and the ones sold currently?

Piotr

PS. Also, has there been any upgrade to the kit 28-135 lens in the meantime - and if so, where can I get it?
Old February 24th, 2016, 04:10 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm bumping this, because I really urgently need an answer to my question whether it's wise to buy an FS7 camera whose dealer cannot tell me when it was produced. All he seems to know is that he's getting it from the Sony warehouse, where it's been since 2015...

Please understand the turn-around of this class of cameras is still relatively poor in Poland, and even though his price is quite good, I wouldn't like to end up with an old unit..

TIA,

Piotr
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:16 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
All he seems to know is that he's getting it from the Sony warehouse, where it's been since 2015...
Why, exactly, do you think the Sony FS7 is less than a year old?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Well, my impression has been it debuted over a year ago (please correct me if I'm wrong) - so if the dealer only knows mine would be "made in 2015", it might be quite an old item. This is what I'm worrying about - if unnecessarily, please encourage me :)

Piotr
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #22
Major Player

I personally wouldn't worry about the 'manufacturing date' of the camera. The two FS7's that I primarily use were bought early, and other than the added features that the firmware updates have brought I haven't noticed any real design changes to newer units.
Other than that (and the fact that any batteries sitting in the box are a bit older) I'd just recommend taking a good look to make sure that there hasn't been a humidity issue with the lens (if you get one) -- make sure it's clean and clear. But you knew that... It's not as though you're buying a 2006 auto that's been sitting in an outdoor lot for 10 years.
Also -- realistically speaking -- the FS7 has been pretty popular -- so my guess is that whatever has been sitting in the warehouse hasn't been doing so for that long!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Well, my impression has been it debuted over a year ago (please correct me if I'm wrong) - so if the dealer only knows mine would be "made in 2015", it might be quite an old item. This is what I'm worrying about - if unnecessarily, please encourage me :)

Piotr
Reality is that electronics are produced in batches that are then warehoused. There is no constant production line of these items. One week they make FS7's, the next another camera. More get made when they are required.

Anyone who watches EEV blog or enjoys tearing down old electronics knows when you delve inside you unearth all the real dates. When the chips were made etc. I have a Western Digital hard disk controller on my desk with chips on it with date codes between week 30 and 40 of 1989, but one chip on the top corner is dated week 34 1987! Yet the board itself was made week 49, 1989. The machine it was in probably didn't hit the UK shores until March 1990. Go figure.

The most important thing is your Sony warranty.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5