Manual focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old February 20th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Manual focus

Based on comments I've read about how diffIcult it is to get a sharp focus manually with the 18 105,has anyone tried the 28 135?
Input welcome
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Manual focus

That lens is much easier to focus manually. But that doesn't change the fact that it is only f/4 and just 28mm at the wide end. Deal breakers for me. But if you don't mind those things, it is a fine lens. Head and shoulders above the 18-105.
Old February 20th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Major Player

That being the case Doug of 28mm at widest where will
This b an issue in what situation
Old February 20th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #4
Major Player

As Doug says, 28mm is not nearly wide enough to make it the only lens you need.
However...
I recently shot a 4K job with a couple of FS7's and used the 28-135 quite a bit on one of the cameras. I ended up being very favorably impressed with the images it produced! (more so than I thought I would be...) It was also very easy to hand-hold when needed. Other than the lack of a real wide end, the major drawback is the slow zoom speed. Other than that it really feels a lot like a standard eng zoom from an operational perspective.
Also, if you do a lot of interviews, it provides an excellent range of focal lengthe. Plus it covers the full frame sensor of the A7s as well (where because the sensor is larger it gives you a decently wide image.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
That being the case Doug of 28mm at widest where will
This b an issue in what situation
28mm is not nearly wide enough for handheld shooting or shooting in close quarters, so that lens makes a poor choice for a run & gun ENG style lens. And f/4 makes it a poor choice for interviews and other types of shooting where DoF is important. So the lens falls into a middle no-man's land and even if you gave me one for free, I can't imagine any situations where I'd want to use it.

Seriously, I'd rather have a Canon 24-105mm f/4 with a speedbooster (making it a 71-7mm f/2.8) for half the price of the Sony lens. Sure, you have to give up AF, servo zoom, and AE, but if someone needs that stuff I'd argue that an FS5 or FS7 isn't even the right camera for them in the first place. There's a LOT of people who would be much better served by a PXW-X200 or something along those lines. Sadly many people can't resist the aura of big sensors and S-LOG even if it is not in their best interest.

Jim, that last part is not aimed at you, just an observation I've noticed about a lot of people I talk to and who's frustrations I read on the various forums. Don't buy a sports car if you really need pickup truck!
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:43 AM   #6
Major Player

Thks Doug
I love my ex1r.
But with new technology and better sensors not sure what direction to go.
Fortunately I can rent the fs5 locally
So I'll put it to use on some shoots and go from there.
All the reading on the forums won't replace hands on experience with these cameras.
Old March 9th, 2016, 07:13 AM   #7
Regular Crew

nice lens from Samyang ..

Samyang Just Introduced a 21mm T1.5 & 50mm T1.3 for Mirrorless Cameras
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Major Player

I assume folks have spotted this potential low light lens for the FS5: https://www.cinema5d.com/slr-magic-5...or-same-price/

Last edited by Nigel Davey; March 21st, 2016 at 04:26 PM.
Nigel Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Just an FYI its not only the 18-105, it is all Sony E mount lenses that are hard to focus. Its that they are speed sensitive as you rotate the focus so it is 100% impossible to predict, develop muscle memory or ever get consistent results. real shame, Its not like I expect cine lenses but a firmware update to make them longer throw and kill the speed sensitivity BS and I would love to own more. sharp, IOS, cheap and super light weight *the exception is the 28-135, that seems like the perfect blend of DSLR and cinema lens.. stills lens pricing and features that mimic a real mechanical cinema lens just the wrong focal range for super 35... hope they do more of these
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 03:44 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
I assume folks have spotted this potential low light lens for the FS5: https://www.cinema5d.com/slr-magic-5...or-same-price/
That looks both insane and very attractive!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5