Center Scan or digital zoom Sony FS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old March 25th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Center Scan or digital zoom Sony FS5

Hallo..on FS5 which is the best option CENTER SCAN or DIGITAL ZOOM ? example, I have a 35mm lens with metabones..
hiere is a nice presentation from Doug Jensen..only for center crop

Last edited by Docea Marius; March 25th, 2016 at 03:36 AM.
Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Center Scan or digital zoom Sony FS5

I'm pretty sure in Doug Jensen's FS5 Master Class training he said (at 1080) the centre scan was better because it's a straightforward crop of the UHD/4K sensor. With clear image zoom I think he said there is some image processing going on. But the difference between the two isn't great.

I suspect Doug will comment if he spots this.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

yes...center crop is ok..hire is a nice test

Docea Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Just be wary that with the Centre Scan you can end up with increased barrel distortion on the picture depending on the lens and the zoom level you are at. The distortion was always there to begin with but if you are at the end of a lens that already has a small amount of barrel distortion it will be more evident on the centre scan.

Certainly noticed this on the stock lens when testing. Zoom in, hit centre scan and it becomes evident on straight horizontal lines.
Old March 25th, 2016, 05:12 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Davey View Post
I'm pretty sure in Doug Jensen's FS5 Master Class training he said (at 1080) the centre scan was better because it's a straightforward crop of the UHD/4K sensor. With clear image zoom I think he said there is some image processing going on. But the difference between the two isn't great. I suspect Doug will comment if he spots this.
Nigel has summed it up for me already, thanks. Center Scan is defintitely better, but digital zoom looks better than I would have expected
Old April 1st, 2016, 12:18 PM   #6
Major Player

I just got a sweet Canon 70-200m f/2.8 IS II lens for the FS5, and I wanted to see what my max reach would look like using either Center Scan, Clear Image Zoom, and both. Here's a video I just made yesterday. Center scan is definitely better looking, but like Doug says, Clear Image isn't terrible. Both combined are not acceptable for any pro work.

Old April 4th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #7
Major Player

Great tests everyone. I was suspicious of center crop and clear zoom initially. Back in 2012 I purchased the NEX EA50 which had a type of clear image zoom function. Sony initially claimed that "thanks to the 16 megapixel sensor it's possible to perform a 2x digital zoom with no perceivable degradation." It was anything but imperceptible, and pretty much unusable. In later editions of the users manual they copped to the truth,saying that "due to digital processing, the image quality will deteriorate." While clear image zoom does have some degradation, I've found it acceptable in some situations. I find center crop totally usable.
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
I just got a sweet Canon 70-200m f/2.8 IS II lens for the FS5, and I wanted to see what my max reach would look like using either Center Scan, Clear Image Zoom, and both. Here's a video I just made yesterday. Center scan is definitely better looking, but like Doug says, Clear Image isn't terrible. Both combined are not acceptable for any pro work.

https://youtu.be/hLbzdERLmK8
Never thought about using crop or zoom especially combined... obviously had to mount the 600mm f4 and try it out, well my tests proved without a doubt I need an bigger better tripod and head and no point in testing on wood floors unless you are going for that hand held look :)
Ray Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I programmed center scan onto button 6 on the handle, so I can trigger it with my ring finger easily. But you cant turn on Center Scan when the camera is recording. That would be nice to be able to punch in during a recording, but still it's a great feature.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5