FS5: Kit lens issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5
Super 35 CMOS recording 4K to XQD media cards.

Old July 21st, 2019, 10:06 AM   #1
New Boot

FS5: Kit lens issue

Hello to everyone!
I'd like to know if the FS5 MK II still has this issue with Kit lens and autofocus:
Also, I'd like to know if the autofocus works with slow-motion.
Thanks!
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: FS5: Kit lens issue

IF you are referring to the SELP18105G (18-105mm) as the 'kit' lens which a lot of FS5s were sold with then it has improved considerably from the earlier days of it's release. A colleague of mine had major drama with his 18-105 when he bought his FS5. Bad enough for us to make a video showing the problems which we then sent in to Sony Australia.

In the long run it was combination of both the firmware on the camera and the lens combined that contributed to the poor performance issues. Incidentally the first of the 18-105s with the original lens firmware worked fine on the FS7. No one I know with the FS5 seems to be having any serious focus issues with the 18-105 these days when both the FS5 and the 18-105 both run their latest firmware versions. What was also noticeable was that the manual fly-by-wire focusing on the 18-105 improved a fair amount. Initially it was nearly impossible to focus the 18-105 manually but I can now work with an 18-105 reasonably accurately in manual mode when I have to. Re the question on the slo-mo side of things I don't recall any issues arising from discussions but I have no personal experience with that as I never tested that out.

Firmware. For the 18-105 that is V.04:

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...loads/Y0015483

and for the FS5 camera that is V4.03:

https://pro.sony/ue_US/product-resou...e-update-v4-03

All the the same using that lens on either the FS5 or the FS7 is not going to give you the very quick focus response and accuracy that you get when using it on an A7III for example where it works remarkably well due to the phase detection focus system in the A series bodies.. that neither the FS5 or FS7 runs sadly.

The information above for what it's worth is based on my personal experience with my 18-105 and follow ups using other colleagues FS5 camera bodies as at one time I was considering an FS5.

Chris Young
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: FS5: Kit lens issue

Thanks Christopher, so I'm assuming that now the problem is gone and it works. The only thing to valuate is the autofocus performance in slow-motion, Hope someone else can help the discussion. Thanks again! :-)
Danilo Del Tufo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PXW-FS7 / FS5