P IX E5 heat issues? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 28th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #1
Trustee

P IX E5 heat issues?

I have an E5 that I absolutely love. I have done many very long recording sessions with it and never had any failures of any kind.

However,..I have noticed that the recorder DOES get very very hot. It gets so hot that it's not easy to hold in your hands. 1080 recording gets hot and 4k is even hotter. (Yes, the fan is blowing away nicely)

Question; Does the E5 have an internal temp guage? Is it aware of its own temperature? Will the E5 protect itself by giving an eventual over heat warning and shutting itself down?

Very little is spoken about this. Can you please let me know?
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: P IX E5 heat issues?

I'd contact Sound (Video) Devices and see what they have to say.
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #3
Sound Devices

Re: P IX E5 heat issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I have an E5 that I absolutely love. I have done many very long recording sessions with it and never had any failures of any kind.

However,..I have noticed that the recorder DOES get very very hot. It gets so hot that it's not easy to hold in your hands. 1080 recording gets hot and 4k is even hotter. (Yes, the fan is blowing away nicely)

Question; Does the E5 have an internal temp guage? Is it aware of its own temperature? Will the E5 protect itself by giving an eventual over heat warning and shutting itself down?

Very little is spoken about this. Can you please let me know?
Yes, Cliff - the PIX-E5 does monitor it's own temperature and display a warning and shutdown if necessary to protect itself. The hardware/chassis is designed in such a way that this is very unlikely to occur. The chassis can get very warm because it is designed to wick away the heat from the internal components to ensure utmost reliability for years of operation.

Paul
Paul Isaacs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Sound Devices PIX series Recorders