best practices for card backups on solo shoots - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old January 2nd, 2014, 03:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: best practices for card backups on solo shoots

I always have my laptop with me, as I shoot via Adobe OnLocation from my big Canon XH-A1. This gets around the one hour load limit of DVC cassettes - I can shoot four or more hours continuously. I have a lettered and numbered set of eight 32 gig SD cards. So I'll start a concert shoot with the four extra cameras with A1 through D1, swapping them to A2 through D2.

Because I have the laptop with me, after we pack up the gear, my wife and I will have a meal in a restaurant that doesn't mind me having my laptop open on the table - gyros and kebab places are especially friendly. By the time we finish our meal, all the material is on the work hard drive, and dropped onto video tracks in Edius. I may even be on the way to having the material synced up. When we get home, I have Edius make an SD proxy of my HD original material which takes a few hours. I generally have 200 gigabytes of raw footage. But once done, I can cut everything in Edius' Multicam mode which shows me a split screen, and I can cut the show like I'm running a switcher.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew