best practices for card backups on solo shoots at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old August 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Major Player

best practices for card backups on solo shoots

Looking for ideas on how to save the most time and secure your data cards when shooting solo, either run and gun or fixed locations. Card format may be S x S, P-2, compact flash or other.....

Is anyone taking the time and effort to backup the cards on site before driving home with the shoot in your camera or bag? Are we really hauling laptops and hard drives to the shoot?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I do this occasionally.

After the day's shoot I'll use a MacBook Pro to copy files to two different Firewire drives. The drives are compact and self-powered so I only need to provide power for the laptop.

Only once did I have to copy files during a shoot and that proved hectic without an assistant. Too much risk for a mistake and losing important footage. It's better to have enough cards to last through the day.
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: best practices for card backups on solo shoots

One of the reasons I love shooting with the C300, you can shoot to two cards simultaneously.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Major Player

I dump my CF and SD cards to a Nexto DI.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Using DSLRs (cf,SD)
- Cards from camera straight in to small netbook via usb3 reader-
- back it up to ext HD when i have two secs
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:43 AM   #6
New Boot

I bought the Black Magic Design Hyperdeck and a couple of SSD's. Now, every time I hit record on my AF101 the internal SD card is written and the Hyperdeck also automatically starts to record.
The Hyperdeck is my primary footage whilst the internal camera's SD is the backup.

Fingers crossed, no lost footage yet... :)
Peter Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Major Player

With the cost of CF cards being low enough to add to a budget, I wonder if anyone here just archives the original CF card(s) and uses new cards for each project?

P2 is to costly to do this.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Major Player

Cards are not as cheap as hard drives, yet. I just buy enough cards to last the day. I use Pelican holders for the cards, the label side up means they are empty, the white write on side up mean used. I never want to hunt for an empty card, and I never want to dump cards in the field, though I have done so during lunch at times.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin View Post
With the cost of CF cards being low enough to add to a budget, I wonder if anyone here just archives the original CF card(s) and uses new cards for each project?

P2 is to costly to do this.

Jonathan
I shoot on the Sony FS-100, it shoots on SD cards (which are half the price of CF cards), I keep the original SD card until the edit is delivered. We have a dozen or so SD cards at any one point.

My 2nd camera is a 5D, and when I use it as a b-cam, I keep the CF cards as well.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Major Player

old dell laptop occasionally.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Dave,
It depends on the type of event I'm shooting. If it's a "small' shoot, i.e. a brief interview, a promotional web spot, or a long performance, then I don't usually back-up on-site unless the client insists on seeing the footage then & there. If so, then I'll lock the card and back-up to an external drive and/or a G-RAID mini on a laptop before I play it for the client.

If it's a large, busy event, (I shoot barrel racing where there may be 200-300+ riders), then I'll back up at convenient times, (often, after every 15 riders within a class, and during breaks between classes). But I have enough cards handy to capture an entire class (divided by 15 riders) before I'll have to re-use a card. (Each ride only takes about 20-25 secs, but I do that so frequently because the riders like to see themselves/their horse shortly after their ride and don't want to wait an hour for me to get a break in the action, then another 30 mins or so copying to a hard drive).

I don't edit those rides on the spot, but I do have them ready for re-play, which is often handled by my wife or daughter.

I also take it on shoots where the job calls for a teleprompter, but I'm considering getting a tablet for that. (My prompter- an Ikan PT3100 - is too big and heavy for frequent on-site use).

But, basically, yes...I'm taking a laptop to almost every shoot, and often with a 2nd, larger monitor. I don't always take it out of the car, but I have it if necessary, and on some shoots, I find it's vital in order to provide playback quickly. However, I doubt many others face similar situations, i.e. rapidly successive action for 3-4 hours almost without stopping.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morgan View Post
Looking for ideas on how to save the most time and secure your data cards when shooting solo, either run and gun or fixed locations. Card format may be S x S, P-2, compact flash or other.....

Is anyone taking the time and effort to backup the cards on site before driving home with the shoot in your camera or bag? Are we really hauling laptops and hard drives to the shoot?
Check out ShotPut Pro.

I use that running on a MacPro laptop to make multiple card backups to different drives if I know I'm going to chew through a lot of footage on a field shoot.
Old March 9th, 2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Trustee

I keep enough SxS cards to last the entire day so I can stay focused on shooting. After a card is full, I put it in a pouch, which is in my front pocket. I never put a full card in a bag! If someone walked away with my bag or camera, at least I have the footage on me. My shoot is still recoverable. If someone ever walked away with my filled cards, however, I'm absolutely done. To be double safe, I also have my name and phone number on each card just in case it ever goes MIA somewhere.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 06:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Good idea to put the phone number on SXS, should be difficult on smaller card. I copy on my MBP and then on external laCie Rugged. I do not have enough card so sometimes I have to bring my MPB on the field which is not always a good idea.

Last edited by Bruno Demeocq; December 21st, 2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: not finished!!!
Bruno Demeocq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Major Player

i used to do laptop + external drive backups, but now cards a pretty darn cheap these days, and my c100 records dual slots, so if im really feeling paranoid, i can run dual slot recording. and considering how cheap sd cards are these days....

Amazon.com: PNY Elite Performance 64GB UHS-1 SDXC Flash Card (P-SDX64U1H-GE): Computers & Accessories

one of those is over 5 hours at the c100's bitrate. 80 bucks for 5 hours of backed up footage is a bargain. double it and it's still only 160 for over 10 hours of backed up footage. much more preferable to having to keep a laptop around

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew