How Many Bags and Total Weight Follow You. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew

SPC - Single Person Crew
Who said "One is the Loneliest Number?" You'll never walk alone here.

Old September 19th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How Many Bags and Total Weight Follow You.

Very curious about SPC aka Single Person Crew typical numbers of bags and total weight you accept.
I think a Camcorder bag who carry the camcorder with almost everything else except tripod and light kit.
Sometime the camcorder bag can see the tripod attach to it but lighting require a separate bag normally.
Then they are two type of Single Person Crew : one who use his own transportation the other can use a
Taxi and get drop at the scene of course these two way got plus and minus,taxi you avoid the parking.
Old September 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: How Many Bags and Total Weight Follow You.

Day-to-day I travel in a cargo van with a ton of stuff in it - most of it lives on a 24x36 cart:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/home-awa...ideo-gear.html

The cart rolls from place to place with 4 light stands, 5 lights, camera, tripod, monitor, a toolbox full of grip stuff, lenses, etc.

When I fly, it all goes in 3 bags:

Pelican 1510 that goes onboard with me: Camera, lens, batteries, charger, on-cam light, memory cards, etc.

Hard side golf bag that holds 2-3 light stands, tripod, extension cord or two

Suitcase that holds two 1K LED panels, a change of clothes, and whatever else.

The van is infinitely easier.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Most of my travel is local and parking is nearly impossible in my area.

1 bag with camera and audio and lenses.
1 tripod bag.
1 bag with three lights and light stands.

I try to keep the whole thing around 20lbs or so.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Inner Circle

For solo traveling, I've got a setup that works with one backpack. I use the original LowePro 250 AW. Looks like they've updated it...

Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II (Black) LP36869 B&H Photo Video

For the full boat, I include a DSLR and lenses, a Redrock Micro "The Event" with follow focus, a Video Mic Pro, juicedLink preamp, and lavs, in-ear monitors, batteries, chargers, filters, cards, and the odd travel stuff that I want with my on the plane: passport, tickets, a paperback, etc. Oh, and it holds my laptop and charger. Add a roll-away suitcase for toiletries, clothes, and a monopod, and I can go for more than a week without checking luggage.

Once I arrive, I streamline the bag. An extra bellypack is nice for easy access to an alternate lens and a spare card and battery. The packpack has side access, if you need to grab the camera quickly.

A nice thing about the The Event rig is that it can be set up on a solid surface and aimed for a locked down shot. Mount it on the monopod and you can rest it on the ground with full extension, or collapse it and rest it on the belt. Hold it near the top to fly it as a faux steadycam. (I should upgrade to a Steadicam Solo for the real thing - for short shots, given no vest.)

Regardless of the gear, the key factor is keeping everything of value in a nondescript black backpack. And when shooting, I always have the remainder of my gear on my back. Anytime you travel with a case, you have to set it down and lose sight of it. Even if it's not stolen, it can be a worry and distraction.

Then again, for filming at tradeshows and on the street, the most important thing to bring is courage. To get good stuff, you need to get in people's way, and ask total strangers to talk with you on camera. And if you really want to do it right, bring release forms and a pen. These are reasons that an assistant is helpful - not so much for managing gear but for managing people.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 11:47 PM   #5
Major Player

For light travel I carry-on a Pelican 1510 with FS700, Odyssey7Q+ and accessories. Plus, a Thinktank bag with computer, drives and lenses to go under the seat. Sometimes I strap a second tripod to the Thinktank.

I then check my large tripod and a bag with my clothes and any accessories that didn't fit in the other bags. Sometimes I check a third hardcase that includes a full-size Kessler slider and motion-control hardware.
Old September 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Over the years I never placed much emphasis on going light. I like to have all the gear I need with me. When I shoot locally I fill the back of my truck with cases of equipment.

But I travel extensively. It is the airlines that is forcing me to change my ways. The baggage fees are now outrageous and often add up to more than my ticket. It is just crazy and I try to control my clients cost of doing business with me. These days I ship gear in advance of the shoot by ground. I hate doing that.

Right now I am researching two new purchases just because of weight. I am looking at carbon fiber tripod legs to support my existing heads because my two old but good Manfroto sticks are just to heavy. They are so big they checked as a single piece. I am also going to have to build a new LED light kit for the same reason. I love my Lowell kits I have been using for years. But they don't cut it anymore because the weight is too much. It is a shame my investments are going up to replace good stuff I already own just because "fast and light" is a priority for travel cost control.

I have a Pelican 1650 case I check in. The case empty is 30 pounds. I have to pull lenses out of it to meet the 50 lb limit. last week I was two pounds over 50 and US Airways tried to add another $100.00 for the two pounds. They were already charging $75.00 for it because it was my third bag. I had to claim the media exemption and they finally waved it. You can't do business that way. My ticket was $212.00, and they wanted me to pay $175.00 for just one of my checked bags, that is insane! I ended up paying $210.00 dollars each way to check in on a $212.00 ticket. That was $440.00 in checked gear, twice my ticket cost!

So yes, streamlining is becoming a high priority for me.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Old October 4th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #7
Major Player

- Main backpack holds my Canon C100, lenses, memory cards, charger, batteries, wireless mic kit, on-camera light, XLR cable, rain cover, white balance card, etc.

- 2nd backpack holds my LED lights and power cables/batteries.

- 3rd backpack holds my Phantom.

Tripod/slider/boom pole/light stands get carried around when I need them.

For most run-and-gun stuff, my main backpack and tripod do the trick. The rest stays in my car until I need it. It's a never-ending mission with the amount of gear that's required though. Next on my list is buying a smaller/lighter tripod.

I don't fly with my gear, so it all fits nicely in my car.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:14 PM   #8
Trustee

I have a Sprinter Van full of gear that goes where I go.

Here are a few of my cases.
Attached Thumbnails
How Many Bags and Total Weight Follow You.-jones-cases.jpg  
Old November 1st, 2015, 08:37 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Jody,

What backpack do you use for your c100? And do you disassemble it, that is take off the handle and top piece? I use a Lightware 400mm lens bag with a side pouch so I can drop the c100 straight down into it without removing the handle and top and put two lenses in the side pouch, then use a small shoulder bag to carry a small mixer, cables and mic plus a zoom recorder. Most times I am also carrying a smaller should bag with a mirroless system since I am shooting still as well.

Thanks ahead for your info.

Jerry Mennenga
Sioux City, Iowa
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > SPC - Single Person Crew