advice for mounting camera to car for low angle road shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #1
Major Player

advice for mounting camera to car for low angle road shoot

I need to take some footage for the title sequence of a doc I'm working on. The aim is to have a low angle (i.e. close to the road) shot, so the plan is to mount a small HD cam (Cannon HV10) mounted to the front of my car, a Mitsubishi Eclipse. I have a rubber sucker camera mount, but in limited tests with this, there's a shocking amount of vibration which would make the footage unusable; any suggestions?
Thanks
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #2
Major Player

I am using this with no problems... Sticky Pod - Camera Mounts - Car, Truck, Boat, Motorcycle, Kayak (director version)
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello Mazzilli View Post
I am using this with no problems... Sticky Pod - Camera Mounts - Car, Truck, Boat, Motorcycle, Kayak (director version)
Thanks Marcello, looks like a rock solid rig.
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Trustee

One suggestion as I do a lot of shooting with a mount on my motorcycles and car...and forgive me if you already know this...make sure you turn off the image stabilizer in the camera and use manual focus and no zoom.

I did a lot of testing and found that the most solid mount to the vehicle (and the sticky pods work great!) allows the vehicle suspension to act as the camera stabilizer. On any vehicle, the road/engine vibration is at a high enough frequency to not come across on the vid if hard mounted. That vibration will interfere with the auto focus and image stabilizer though. And if you use any zoom, the vibration gets amplified.

Hope this helps and if you already knew this, sorry!
Get the sticky pod though...good solution!
Robert Turchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I used one of these:

Gripper 3025 - The Filmtools 6" Suction / Vacuum Cup Camera Mount

I mounted small camera upside-down so could get lower angle. Results can be watched here (jump to 1:14):

YouTube - D2Forged Promo #2
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Robert and Lukas, much appreciated. In the end I drilled a hole in a little-visible location at the front and bolted the cam to it. While the car was idling, there was pretty bad vibration, but as Robert mentioned, it was otherwise prettty good. In fact, for my purpose, the vibration was fine and added to the overall 'punk' feel.
YouTube - Title Sequence from "Winning Big" with Debbie Bramwell
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Special Mounts and Applications